24p questions - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 1st, 2003, 02:07 PM   #376
Major Player

24pA test

Does anyone have footy of the same thing shot in 24p, 24p A, and 24p A trasfered to film so we can compare???? I wouldnt like to see a before and after shot of some 24p a footy..
thanks
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:52 PM   #377
Barry Wan Kenobi

24P and 24PA will look identical, assuming editing in a 24P timeline.

So, I'm not sure I know what you're asking-- before and after what? Before and after being transferred to film? Is that the question? If so, you might ask Noah Kadner, I believe he transferred his Promax DVX/PD150 comparison DVD footage up to 35mm...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #378
Regular Crew

Using DVX100 for 60i to 24p conversion?

Has anyone done this, how would work out?

1. Shoot & edit a project in 60i

2. Run it through a regular tv

3. Point a Dvx100 at the Tv & record in 24p andvanced.

Aside from the possible quality loss are there any conversion problems?

Is this similar to what the dv to film houses do only with a 35 mm camera pointed at the source?
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #379
Major Player

i'm asking to see what 24p footage looks like before you tansfer it to film compared to what it looks like after you transfer it to film. Transfering it to film must look different right?
Old December 8th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #380
Barry Wan Kenobi

Are you asking that it be transferred to film, and then that film is telecine'd back to video? I don't know anyone who's done that.

Maybe you could get something transferred to film and then arrange a test with a theater, and project the raw footage using their "advertising" projector, followed by them projecting the actual film footage? Maybe a film festival would be open to doing something like that...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #381
Major Player

If you're able to go to New York City, DuArt film labs shows screenings of video they've transferred to film every week. Check out their website www.duart.com for more info.

You might also be interested in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7879&highlight=duart
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:18 AM   #382
Regular Crew

What software to use for 25p footage? Can Premier 6.5 do that?
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:38 AM   #383
Major Player

I think all NLE's can handle progressive PAL (25P) footage. As far as I know only the special pull down methodes with 24P footage requires special options for NLE's. SO far I know Vegas and FCP and perhaps also AVID are prepared for that.
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #384
Regular Crew

That's great! Thanks Peter.
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #385
Major Player

ALL I WANT IS TO SEE a split screen of.. 24p advanced footage on the left side, and a what that SAME footage looks like AFTER you trasfer it to film! TONS OF PEOPLE ON THIS SITE HAVE TRASFERED THEIR to film. SO LETS DO SOME TEST.
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #386
Major Player

Mike,

Transfering DV to film is a very expenssive proposition. To then do a telecine back to video also requires a lot of money. I have a bunch of 24pA footage; if you want to pay for the transfer to film and back to video I'd certainly be up for it! ;)

Really, though, I don't know anyone that has done what you're asking. Not a lot of people have the $$$ available for this sort of thing. The few that have been able to do so are probably busy trying to get their films in some festivals. If I were you, I'd probably pay a visit to the folks at DuArt labs in NYC, or DVFilm.com in Texas. These are the most likely people who would have the kind of "split screen" comparison between the two. Other than that, I have no idea.

Best of luck!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #387
Regular Crew

Actually, I've never heard of anyone transfering from DV to film and then transferring from film back to DV. To do so wouldn't really make sense, because if you wanted DV stuff you'd use the original DV footage since it'd be better quality (not to mention a lot less $$$).

To do what you propose would be interesting, but wouldn't really show/prove anything since there are so many variables involved within each transfer.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #388
Major Player

so no one here really transfers to film.
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #389
RED Code Chef

Well this would be a loss that will result in an unusuable
picture basically. You will see the TV's refresh rate. You won't
see all of the picture and you'll probably also will be able to
see the scanlines etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #390
Major Player

You can definitely do it, but the image will look terrible. Like Rob said, the loss in quality would be staggering. Unless you're going for some weird visual effect, it's going to look terrible. If you have a DVX100 available, why not just shoot with it instead? Unlesss you're trying to have both a 60i and a 24pA version of your footage... hmmm... In that case, you're better off not using the DVX at all. Just shoot in 60i, and then de-interlace it using DVFilm Maker, Magic Bullet, or Cinema Tools. That way you'll have 60i and progressive versions of the footage.

But whatever you do, don't shoot the TV! 35mm conversion requires very expensive machinery, well beyond normal people's range of affordability. They certainly don't just point a 35mm camera at a TV and record the thing. Your best bet is to use the DVX100 and record in 24pA, 24p, or 30p. The results are stunning for a camera that price.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant