24p questions - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 15th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #481
Trustee

Very nicely done. May I ask what that was? Seemed very surreal.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #482
Regular Crew

was just a camera test.... my friend was doing a commerical for panasonic "olymipcs". I asked if i could film some "behind the scenes footage" nothing to speical just test footage!
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #483
Regular Crew

It is nice footage. Cool white ninjas, too, heh heh. How much light was actually used on the set? It's a pretty low key style of lighting, but still looks like quite a lot of studio equipment was utilized, which is something I won't be able to do. Imran, how about some frame grabs from your footage?
Roger Van Royen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #484
Trustee

Well both the things I shot that I was referring to were for other folks, not myself. However, while I don't have that footage, I can probably dish up the tape that I had of the random test footage I took using a few varying settings.

I'll post back as soon as I find it.
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #485
Regular Crew

Imran,

Can you post the settings you used on your night shoot? Sounds like they might be a good starting point for some tests.
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #486
Trustee

Sorry guys, I haven't had a chance to look for my test tape yet. As soon as I find it, I will post.
Old September 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #487
Major Player

24P grabs:

http://www.ywenzstudios.com/caps/01.jpg
http://www.ywenzstudios.com/caps/02.jpg
http://www.ywenzstudios.com/caps/03.jpg
http://www.ywenzstudios.com/caps/04.jpg

shot on DVX100 so would = DVX100A with no gain.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #488
Regular Crew

Nice. Really impressive how the camera recorded the 4th frame. All of them look better than I thought they would after what I heard about the camera's iffy performance in 24p at night. Do you have any night shots like the first frame only with about 1/4 the number of lights? That'd be pretty close to the typical light levels where I'll be shooting.

Another thing I'm curious about. I assume you white balanced in all four examples? The various types of light don't seem that different from what a human eye would see. I was also surprised that the car headlights had a distinct blue cast when I was expecting a warmer look from them, unless, of course, they all had Xenon bulbs. Frames 1 and 3 seem to be the same location, but that big radioactive looking building (or whatever it is) is green in one frame and blue in the other! Was that a result of your settings or variable lights on the background object?

Thanks for posting the frame grabs, Yang. I already have a much better sense of how the camera will behave at night in 24p.
Old September 19th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #489
Trustee

Those colored buildings look like those things from Ken Tanaka's Photos... The crazy cool video 'sculptures' in Chicago's Millennium Park.

http://www.pbase.com/tanakak/crown
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #490
Major Player

I forgot what white balance i used on each shot. The lights definitely weren't that blue.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 03:10 AM   #491
Regular Crew

It would appear you're correct, Imran. The sign in one of Yang's pictures says Grant Park, which it turns out was expanded to accomodate Millenium Park. Now I know what that weird "building" really was. I can sleep better not having to ponder that anymore....

Anyone have some twilight 24p stuff? I'd sure like to see what the possibilities are of using the 100A to generate evening-for-night footage with available light only.
Old October 31st, 2004, 03:56 AM   #492
New Boot

You did the right thing shooting 24pa if you want to record out to 35mm film. It's going to be very expensive to do so, in the tens of thousands of dollars. It can look very good if the film out is done well. Once it is filmed out it will stand up better being projected on large screens. You do need to re-edit in 24fps to have accurate cuts.

If you stay in the video realm you should bump up to Digibeta for projection. I wouldn't project from a DVD. You could even try uprezzing to HD but IMO, that is a hit-and-miss proposition. Some scenes just won't look good.
Old October 31st, 2004, 02:56 PM   #493
Regular Crew

Transfer depends on the film chain quality you want. For a 90 minute video to film tranfer it can be as much as $50,000.00 as long as you stay with one of the smaller labs in New York, Atlanta, etc. that specialize in this type of service.
Scott Ellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:18 PM   #494
Major Player

24p edit ?

If I've read it right. the DVX100a records 24fps on to a tape at 60fps so you can edit it. If that is true do you thing it would work with FCX or FCX2. No funds yet for the pro.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:49 PM   #495
Barry Wan Kenobi

Any editing program can edit the footage as 60i footage. It'll still look like 24P, but you'd be editing the 60i footage as recorded to tape.

If you want to edit on the raw 24P data, you'd need a program like FCP HD or Vegas, something that knows about the 24P sequence and can extract it from the 60i footage.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant