24p questions - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 7th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #526
Barry Wan Kenobi

What you want to do is possible; I just don't know if it can be done in Premiere Pro. Hopefully someone will weigh in who's done it. In Vegas it's very easy -- just drop the 30p clip into a 24p timeline, right-click it and select "playback rate: 0.80" (for 80% speed). Then you get frame-accurate fillm-style slow motion, and it delivers a quite nice slow-mo effect.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #527
Regular Crew

Dropping your 30p clip into 24p timeline will not automatically slow it down (which is what I meant by "Premiere will not affect any speed changes"). I should have added the word "automatically". That's what you implied in your question.

Like Barry suggests, to get good slo-mo, shoot that material in 30p and slow it down to 80%. Any version of Premiere can do slo-mo easily. In this case 80% is the magic number for the highest quality from 30p footage. Of course, you could select any other percentage but it won't be as smooth. It may or may not require rendering. BTW, non-realtime previews in Premiere are low res, so don't be alarmed. Once it's rendered, WYSIWYG.

Oh, and I'll plug Barry's book while I'm at it! Worthwhile purchase if you haven't already done so.
Preston Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #528
New Boot

I wouldnt consider droping speed of a clip in premiere...its horrible its uses tons of frame blending and just looks bad...but yea 80% is the number I guess

-thanks alot.
Jake Zalutsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #529
Major Player

Help with 24P please

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic DVX-100A and would have posted this question on that forum but there doesn't seem to be alot of activity there. So thought I would throw this out to all of you brainiacs and see if someone could help.

I have a director that wants to shoot in 24p for a youth Diabetes walk tomorrow. Having never used 24p, I tried to dissuade her because of the smearing problem I have read about on this site, but in reality I was trying to get her to change her mind because of my lack of experience with this format. Uh-oh.....

That confession made, I now need to know anything and everything you men and women are willing to take the time to share. I'm sure I can set the menu to record in 24p but are there any other recording issues I should be aware of? How to control the smearing on pans? Do I need to try and hold hand-held shots even more steadily because of the flutter? Please alert me to everything I might not know, which is embarrassingly, everything. Sorry for the huge request. My bad for not researching this earlier, but I just found out about this 24p assignment today.....

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #530
Major Player

Hi Steph,

Start here:
http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/index.html
After that, there's not much else to say - it's that good.

Good luck.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #531
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Barker
Hi Steph,

Start here:

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the reply, Jack.

I'll try the link you suggested now.

Thanks again,

Steph
Old October 9th, 2005, 02:58 AM   #532
Regular Crew

Hi Stephanie,

I stumbled upon this thread you might find useful in a pinch:

http://www.uemforums.com/2pop/ubbthr...6495&Main=6466

Hope it helps a little & best of luck with your shoot!

~Mike
Michael Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #533
Major Player

Really, it's not a big bear....you can shoot pretty loosely with 24p and not have any glaringly obvious defects in your footage, even the panning smear. Handheld is no different. I mean, the "smear" or rather "studder" is there while panning sort of slowly, but not slow enough for a real smooth image, but these are subtle things, nothing that would "ruin" your footage. It's just a compromise that must be taken into consideration for certain types of shots...for instance if you were panning across a landscape. You should keep in mind that the movie Murderball, about quadroplegic wheelchair sports, was shot with the DVX using 24p, and a lot of the footage was from cameras strapped to the very much in motion wheel chair athletes themselves. To sum it up, it is my opinion (one informed by having shot hundreds of hours of DVX 24p footage) that you really don't have anything to worry about in this regard for the type of footage it seems you'll be shooting. But you will want to spend some time getting to know the camera (no matter what you shoot with) before showtime. You'll simply have to have a feel for it, knowing things like how to operate the iris/focus/neutral density filters/white balance. Dont worry too much about the menu settings, you can just use scene file 6 with all parameters set at default values and get amazing 24p footage, assuming your compositions are good.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #534
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Barker
Hi Steph,

Start here:

Good luck.

What a great resource. Thanks!
Kelly McCluskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #535
Major Player

Dear Jack, Michael and Daniel

Have been away from the forum for awhile...But now wanted to thank you for your replies. They will be very helpful to me and other readers I'm sure.

Thank you so much for taking the time to address this issue.

Stephanie
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #536
Major Player

extreme sports film- shot on DVX100a 24p trailer

not sure if this is the right sub forum, please move it if it is not, thanx and sorry
anyway,

i'm almost done my film, shot 90% on dvx100a in 24p, editied in pro and AE

here is site http://www.asphaltjunkiez.com
http://www.asphaltjunkiez.com/trailer

enjoy

Saturnin
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #537
Regular Crew

looks really good man! good AE comp's too.

What camera/capture settings did you use cause mine is coming out like junk!
Lyndon Golanowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #538
Major Player

i shot in scene dial f5 on the dvx, white balanced for each shoot.
some of the shots i shot with diff shutter speeds etc... but majority were on stock settings.

the interviews were shot with two kino flows 500watt and umbrellas, didnt have the softboxes. One of the interviews only used a back light

captured on pro 1.0 and imported to 1.5 due to the fact that i had both 60i footage and 24p and 1.5 doesnt like em both(but thats another story)

did some cc in AE and premiere
right now i'm mixing sound in pro 1.5
and its turning out well
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #539
Regular Crew

Nicely done action shots. Tight editing.

Nice trailer.

Ed
ed@highlydef.com
Ed Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #540
Major Player

thanx...i will have another trailer done before the release...differnt style
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant