24p questions - Page 37 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM   #541
New Boot

24p editing

I am using Final Cut Pro and am trying to capture footage shot in 24p ( not advanced) for editing in a 24p timeline. Apparently advanced mode must be used or it will be captured at 29.97. My question is how can I convert to use this footage with all my other 24pa (23.98) footage in my 24p timeline? Thanks.
Hugh Dorigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:34 PM   #542
New Boot

Methinks you'd get more responses if you post this question in the
Non-linear Editing on a Mac section of the forum.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=30

You could also take a look at this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61135
No replies yet, but the topic is similar.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM   #543
Regular Crew

Shooting Sporting Event, can't decide 24p or 60i?

Hey guy's im shooting an event similiar to UFC (ultimate fighting championship) and I can't decide if I should shoot 24p standard or 60i. What would you guy's think?

Planning to go on Pay Per View, DVD etc.
Lyndon Golanowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:31 PM   #544
Barry Wan Kenobi

Live events are almost invariably shot in 60i or high-def 60p, especially sporting events.

If you're doing some sort of documentary about the sport, 24p might be appropriate, but if you're actually shooting the event itself, people are accustomed to seeing those events at 60i or 60p.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:41 PM   #545
Regular Crew

Thanks Barry, Do you think the DVX100 is an appropriate choice
Lyndon Golanowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:02 PM   #546
Inner Circle

Checkout the interview referenced in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61357
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #547
Regular Crew

DVX100B 24P Question

I recently bought a DVX100B (just arrived last week). I use Premiere 6.5 and was thinking of upgrading to Pro 2.0 because it's the cheapest way to go and I'm familiar with it. But the question is -- does it handle 24P well (basic or advanced 24P)? Or is there a different alternative that I need to be looking at?

Hopefully this question is appropriate for this forum. If not, let me know.

Dale
Dale Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #548
Barry Wan Kenobi

Many of us DVX users migrated to Vegas because of its unparalleled handling of 24P. Vegas + DVX = magic. Vegas offers a free download, so try it and see what you think.
Old March 11th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #549
Trustee

Yes vegas is pretty good at the 24P. I'm no longer a PC guy so have my Vegas+DVDA version 5 + Upgrade to 6 (License all fully transferable and you can upgrade etc. Effectively the Vegas Production Suite) for sale if you find Vegas is good for you and want to get it. It's just lying around here now not getting used, so I'll probably flick it for a good price + shipping.

Aaron
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #550
Regular Crew

Barry,

Thanks. I will probably download it and try it. I have a Matrox RT.X10 card. Do you know of any compatability issues there? (Although I got the card primarily to capture video from my older analog camcorder, I have used several of the Matrox effects).

What is Vegas' advantage with the DVX that is causing people to switch to it? In general how does it compare with Premiere 6.5?

Aaron, I assume from your post you've gone to a Mac. If I like Vegas, I may be interested. I think you can send an e-mail to me via the members list if you want to talk more offline or I can post my e-mail address. I'm new here so I'm not sure of the best protocol.

Dale
Dale Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #551
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
I have a Matrox RT.X10 card. Do you know of any compatability issues there?
Vegas doesn't use hardware cards at all.

Quote:
What is Vegas' advantage with the DVX that is causing people to switch to it? In general how does it compare with Premiere 6.5?
Oh, that's a loaded question... :)

Vegas is such a superior, faster, better integrated, overall better editing experience than Premiere, it's akin to going from a bicycle to a teleporter. Learn the workflow and you will be very very very happy you left Premiere behind. It's just sooooooo much better. Things can be done in one mouse click that Premiere requires four and five mouse clicks. You'll just be done so much quicker. Try it, work with it, give it a fair chance, and you'll never want to see Premiere again. I say that as having used Premiere from version 4.2 up to 6.0; Premiere Pro is a different app altogether, but 6.5 isn't much different from 6.0 so I think you'll find it very much to your liking. And the audio features of Vegas are stellar.

As for why it works with the DVX -- it just does. It's the best 24p integration of any editor. FCP requires you to go through a separate stage to "remove pulldown"; Vegas just does it on the fly if needed, or doesn't if it's not needed. Vegas has the best 24p support, and the best end-to-end authoring of 24P DVDs. I think the success of the DVX had a lot to do with the migration to Vegas, Vegas just handled the DVX footage so very well that it made 24p editing completely easy and worked just the way you'd want it to.
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #552
Major Player

i've been usin pro 1.5 and its been fine, so i'm not sure what the issue is. It all depends on what you preffer! good luck
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #553
New Boot

Ooooh, I feel so fancy that I can help out somebody :D

FIrst: Premiere Pro - yes, it rocks with 24p. Particularly PANASONIC 24p. It has options in the project settings that specifically state PANASONIC 24P, and lets you choose from WideScreen or Standard, depending on how you shoot.

As for your Matrox R10 - unfortunately, this damn thing doesn't support 24P at ALL. I bought one, not too long ago, thinking how great it would be to have real-time rendering. But, no, since the R10 doesn't do that, now I'm stuck with a card, I'll be selling on Ebay soon, because I NEVER shoot 29.97, only 24p.

So, to answer your questions: Premiere rocks for 24p and the R10 won't work at all with 24p. I've asked them if they plan any support, and they simply ignore me.

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT VEGAS: Does it allow for the export of OMFI Media Files for integration with ProTools? I'm going to head over and download the demo, since I'm a DVX100 guy, but I'm curious about the sound options. Premiere doesn't support this natively, and as such, I've had to purchase Automatic Duck to make it happen.
James Q. Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #554
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Q. Manning
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT VEGAS:
You might have a question about Vegas, but this particular topic concerns 24p on the Panasonic DVX100. Please post a new thread in our Vegas forum, located at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=54. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #555
Trustee

I use FCP, Vegas and Premiere... all have strong suits. FCP has the most versatile file type options natively, Vegas has great audio tools and Premiere has been VASTLY improved in 1.5 and 2.0 and is a solid contender with great 3rd party plug-ins and a nice workflow. It is 100% personal preference, try them out.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant