Dirty heads allready???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 10th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dirty heads allready????

The other day I was capturing footage from my DVX100 on to the edit suit and I got allot of digital glitches and mosaic-type noise randomly threw the tape. I only have 39 hours on the heads. I ran the tape cleaner for 10 seconds and
it still happens. Sometimes when I fast forward or rewind to skip the problem... I get a still image of horizontal bars across the LCD screen of the camera.

What going on!!!
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #2
Major Player

did you use a new tape?
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I used a tape that ive already used twice... How many times can i use a MINI DV tape over again until its starts to loose it life? 5 - 10 times? more? Could it be a bad tape?
Old November 10th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think the question he meant was did you use a new tape brand or type?

I'm not sure what the typically usage of a tape is, I'm sure it depends on brand. But I do know that over time when reusing a tape it will start to flake and gum up your heads. If it has flaked, I'd also imagine that it would produce results like you are seeing. Try another new tape of the same brand and type you should always be using and see if it produces the same problems. If so, then it's a head issue. If not, most likely a tape issue with that particular tape.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #5
Warden

I never reuse tapes. You can use the search function by clicking on the button in the upper right corner of this window. This will give you numerous threads on this topic to read over. It's a personal thing depending on your comfort level of possibly experiencing dropouts etc. The more you use a tape the more likely you'll have problems with that tape. No hard and fast numbers or rules.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #6
Trustee

These Panasonic cameras seem to have the "fussiest" heads in modern DV cameras.....I personally think it's poor design......I had to return 1 DVC80 already and my new one (another new DVC80) misbehaved once already and it has under 1 hour "rec" time on it!

Search this forum and you'll find quite a history on the DVC/DVX heads.
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Ozan, here's something about tapes and heads. Make sure you read the links there as well. Tom's got a good 'how to' on cleaning cam heads.

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have been using the same tape stock for all my cameras... FUJIFILM mini DV tapes... i also read "DV FREAK" information about tapes and heads. Maybe theres a good possiblilty that my heads are screwed up?!? according to "DV FREAK" there are chances of new cameras to have screwed up heads...
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Maybe. But it's not a good idea to re-use tapes for important footage. London Drugs, Superstore, usually have Fuji and other brands on sale.
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #10
Major Player

FWIW - I had the same problems on my DVX after only 4-5 hours. I was using the SONY Premium mini DV tapes I'd used for years without problem on my other camera. I had to run the cleaning tape twice (2X 10 sec. each). Then I switched to the Panasonic MQ tapes and haven't had a problem since.

BTW - I've reused several MQ tapes (a couple in LP mode even) without a hitch.)
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I also seem to get a few video glitches or audio chirps when i record onto tape. Is that more of a TAPE problem or the camera HEADS!
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #12
Trustee

I have owned a GL2, XL1S, PDX10 etc and only the Panasonic DVC/DVX seem to consistently have "head" issues....everything from "you must use this tape" to "you can't retape over tape" solutions have been offered- but if you search these forums you'll find these Pans have tons of issues with their "heads"....sad but true for such a nice camera otherwise!
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

So is the solution to use PANASONIC tapes for the DVX100? Less of a change of things screwing up? glitches, mosaic-type noise... etc
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #14
Outer Circle

Quote:
So is the solution to use PANASONIC tapes for the DVX100? Less of a change of things screwing up? glitches, mosaic-type noise... etc
If you've used a brand/type of tape, haven't mixed them, cleaned your heads, and you still get this problem with playing back the tapes, you should use your warranty to get the cam fixed. It could be the heads; it could be the "firmware" - if you get these glitches while uploading via firewire. Take note that when you fast forward or rewind, these mosaic blocks you see are normal.
Old November 12th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #15
Major Player

Maxell tapes?

As a new user of the DVX100 I've started out using Maxell tapes: DVM60SE (B). Has anyone experiences with them? Should I consider switching to Fuji or Panasonic and stay with one of them?

Peter Sieben

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant