Shoulder Cam type of support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 18th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shoulder Cam type of support

Someone posted a link to a website that had camera support I am interested in. It was like a steadicam but had a pistol grip that you used to hold the support bracket against your shoulder. Naturally I have lost the link but maybe someone here has seen this type of device and can provide the manufacturer or a retailer.
Thanks.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Video Innovators makes the cheapest one (S-800), followed by Varizoom, Image-2000, and Anton Bauer Stasis. Even Videosmith has a hodge-podge offering.

To tell you the truth, it's not easy to pick the best one from the manufacturer's photos. You might want to try them all out, if possible. Because the dvx100 must stick out in front of you to make use of the viewfinder, you should try to fit a handle to the bottom. I also wish the stasis (AB) had an ab brace, because the front weight of the camera makes it impossible to achieve a balance with the rear battery (even the 5 lb one) over your shoulder.

Come to think of it, you may also be interested in the Tortlerig.

http://www.easyrig.com/

This weird gadget has not been tested by me, so good luck special ordering it. You buy it, it's yours. No refund from B&H.

Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

i use a manfrotto 501 head with 2 arms...
What i do is then use a hip bag, which teh long neck sits in.. then with the 2 arms flipped upward, i rest them on my shoulders with the DVX viewfinder dead centre... works great :)

and as the weight distribution is carried lower into the hip, it save teh backache :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : i use a manfrotto 501 head with 2 arms...
What i do is then use a hip bag, which teh long neck sits in.. then with the 2 arms flipped upward, i rest them on my shoulders with the DVX viewfinder dead centre... works great :)

and as the weight distribution is carried lower into the hip, it save teh backache :) -->>>

Thanks Mark, Peter,

I have a left over 501 head so maybe this route is a good idea. I am still confused as to how the setup works. What is the head attached to? Can you post a photo?

I'll take a look at Mark's suggestions also.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 05:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

the heead is attached to the long neck which comes standard with the 501 head.

this is then either put agains the belly, or tucked into a belt pouch

I use a baby bottle hip bag now :) works a treat

the levers are actually facing upwards (pointin up not down) and these act as the shoulder rests

and thats really all there is to it i guess...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 08:26 AM   #6
New Boot

Peter,

I'm still having a really hard time picturing this setup. Any chance you could post a picture?

Thanks,
David

BTW - Do go take a look at the TortleRig mentioned in post by Marc Young. Extremely cool, innovative support solution. The only catch is that it's close to $1000 from their US distributor...
future - documentarian
David A. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The Marzpak www.marztech.com is similar to that backpack rig from Holland (TortleRig/easyrig). I think the Marzpak looks more efficient and more practical and is only $499.00 if memory serves me right.

I'm in the process of building my own Marzpak using an external framed backpack, shock cord and some tubes. I may also incorporate my Vreeze http://www.vreezecam.com steadicam in the final creation. If it works, it will have the stability of a full glidecam without the problem of the tremendous weight strain on your wrist and arms. I'm also hoping it will be less sensitive to movement and sway. We'll see .... it will be my Thanksgiving long weekend project.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant