DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Sample videos using different capture modes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/17548-sample-videos-using-different-capture-modes.html)

Dan Owens November 24th, 2003 08:24 PM

Sample videos using different capture modes?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I have been lurking in these forums for a short time. I had originally decided to purchase the Canon GL2 but the more I am learning about the Panasonics the more I am interested in them. I basically want to shoot vacations, my nephew and also the possibility of doing more serious work later on.

I am currently using a Sony Hi8 and transfer the video into my computer using my Canopus ADVC-100. The video looks good until it is compressed to the mpeg2 format. I suppose this could be true of most consumer analog captures. I am very new to this, so it could be something I am doing wrong, but I am trying to achieve the best image possible. All the samples I have seen on these forums lately are much better than what I am seeing on my footage, as far as video quality and resolution.

Getting back to the task at hand, the zoom on the GL2 is great, but I also like the XLR inputs with phantom power on the Panasonics. I really don't know what to look for in a camcorder except that I know I want a 3ccd camera. I also know that I don’t necessarily want to have to purchase something else later for better capabilities. This means I am leaning toward the DVX100, though the DVC80 seems very nice as well.

Anyway, my question is about the frame rates. I see a lot posted about 24p, 30p, 60i, etc. Does anyone have any samples of each, preferably the same subject (for a better comparison)? I have seen samples and am really impressed, but I really have no way of knowing which "mode" the camera was capturing in.

Any help would be appreciated. I am going to also post this message in the Canon forum to get samples from the GL2 as well, because I am really trying to research this major purchase as thoroughly as possible.

Thanks in advance for you time.

(PS - Sorry for the long post)

Stephen van Vuuren November 24th, 2003 08:29 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if they are still up, but search through the old posts there should links still some of the footage. Chris Hurd was hosting some, but it may be offline here at dvinfo.net.

Also, check the links at the top as they have some links that still may be good.

Dan Owens November 25th, 2003 05:57 AM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. I went back a few pages before posting originally but a lot of the links seem to have gone away, which is understandable since they are such big files. What links are you referring to at the top? I'll keep checking around to try to find what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Stephen van Vuuren November 25th, 2003 10:53 AM

I was afraid of that. Per links at top, Terrence's page had links to clips, but they may be out of date as well.

It might be time for for dvinfo to host some sample clips shot in various mode, with and without anamorphic lens (anyone? :)