DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   New Hi-Def DVX100 clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/18110-new-hi-def-dvx100-clip.html)

Barry Green December 8th, 2003 06:15 PM

New Hi-Def DVX100 clip

I think I posted the old DVX100 up-rezzed-to-HD vs. JVC HD1 clip here before, I'm not sure. Anyway, I've since figured out a much better way to up-rez, using S-Spline Pro.

Check out this clip:

http://66.78.26.9/~fiercely/DVXvsJVC/NewDVXvsJVC.mpg

That's the DVX100, up-rezzed to 1280 x 720 by S-Spline Pro, and then imported into Vegas side-by-side with the same clip as shot by the JVC HD1. Then I exported a new MainConcept 720/30P HD file (so in the DVX she'll be a little faster than in the HD1, but it was necessary in order to make a clip that the HD guys can download and play through their cameras).

If you try to play this back on your desktop you'll need a pretty fast computer to keep up the frame rate.

Glen Elliott December 8th, 2003 07:27 PM

Wow- looks great. Never thought Up rezing would turn out results that looked that good!

Jaime Valles December 8th, 2003 09:11 PM

Which one is the DVX100 footage? Is it the first one or the second one?

Barry Green December 8th, 2003 10:05 PM

"Which one is the DVX100 footage? "

The one that looks good. ;)

(seriously, the DVX is the first clip, the one that has the S-Spline Pro watermark all over it. The JVC HD1 is the second clip.)

Glenn Gipson December 9th, 2003 07:33 AM

Awesome! Thanks Barry! I'm not familiar with that software though, was the process tedious?

Glen Elliott December 9th, 2003 08:30 AM

Here I am, all the while thinking the 1st one was the JVC. Man 3ccds really help with color reproduction. The JVC's colors look flat and unsaturated.

Steve Nunez December 9th, 2003 08:53 AM

I must be the only one not seeing the video- when I click the link, I get a new IE window and a spinning e-globe showing it's trying to get the mpg- but nothing comes down- anyone have any idea why?
(IE for Mac OSX)

Glen Elliott December 9th, 2003 09:21 AM

Takes a while to load- try right-clicking and choosing "save target as".

Jaime Valles December 9th, 2003 11:10 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : "Which one is the DVX100 footage? "

The one that looks good. ;)

(seriously, the DVX is the first clip, the one that has the S-Spline Pro watermark all over it. The JVC HD1 is the second clip.) -->>>

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. The first clip definitely looks better; I just keep getting more and more impressed with the DVX100. For the price, the image quality simply can't be beat. Thanks for this sample, Barry.

Glenn Gipson December 9th, 2003 12:39 PM

Barry, let be more specific about my question:

>>That's the DVX100, up-rezzed to 1280 x 720 by S-Spline Pro<<

Do you have to do this frame by frame? How long would this process take for 80 minutes worth of footage?

Barry Green December 9th, 2003 02:34 PM

You do NOT have to do it frame-by-frame (thankfully!)

From your editing program you export your video as a series of stills (for 80 minutes' worth, you'll need quite a bit of space -- each frame is about a megabyte, and there's 115,200 frames in 80 minutes -- assuming 24 fps).

That'll create 115,200 frames on your hard disk, named something like Movie000001.tga, Movie000002.tga, etc.

You then open S-Spline Pro and tell it to batch-process those files. This will take a while. I think it was about 7 minutes for the three seconds that I did (on a P4 2.66Ghz). If you have a faster computer obviously it'll take less time. So it'll be hours and hours and hours of up-rezzing, my guess is it'd take around 8 days to do the up-rez. If you have multiple computers, obviously you could divide the task up between them, etc.

You'll also need about 500 mb of space for the up-rezzed files.

Glenn Gipson December 9th, 2003 03:07 PM

Thanks Barry! This is major news!

Davi Dortas December 9th, 2003 07:49 PM

That's great! We finally get a chance to compare resolution and image quality. I tried up-rezzing DVX100 footage using S-Spline a while back but it was a slow and tedious process.

My workflow consisted of bringing the footage into After Effects, then applying the Magic Bullet de-artifacting filter to eliminate the 4:1:1 compression blocks, then exporting as uncompressed PNG files.

Then I would batch process the up-rez in S-Spline. Problem for me was I had no way to view it on a HDTV so the project was of little interest to me. Plus I was running on an 867Mhz G4 so it was painfully slow.

If you are looking into using this workflow for HD up-rez, then the best camera setting would be 24P/30P with the THIN setting. De-artifact (4:1:1) in After Effects. And use S-Spline for the up-rez.

Patrick Bower December 10th, 2003 06:21 PM

Presumably a PAL DVX100 would be even better?

Patrick

Yang Wen December 10th, 2003 07:16 PM

yeah but not much.