DVX100A Official USA release at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 17th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #1
Space Hipster

DVX100A Official USA release

Panasonic's site has not updated, but obviously, the press release is out.

it's updated now.
Old December 17th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, it doesn't look like Panny is letting any grass grow under the DVX-100, while at the same time the other major brands appear to be doing a Rip Van Winkel.

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #3
DVX User

Yes if Canon doesnt release the XL-2 by NAB 2004 they might loose thier loyal fan base... if they havn't already.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #4
Skyonic New York

<<<-- Originally posted by Jarred Land : Yes if Canon doesnt release the XL-2 by NAB 2004 they might loose thier loyal fan base... if they havn't already. -->>>

not to worry an xl2 will be announced at nab, i just hope a leak comes out before, as for the wait, lets just say i'm still happy with my xl1 from 1998...to me that was money well spent...some life span...

as i grow older time goes by so fast and technology moves so much faster that unless there will be revolutionary changes to the xl2 i might just continue to use the xl1, i know this is not a popular concept these days but it works for me...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #5
DVX User

<<<-- not to worry an xl2 will be announced at nab, -->>>

Lol I have heard that every year for the last 3 years :)
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Looks like it's on the Panny site now:

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat/Products/cams_ccorders/f_ag-dvx100a.html

Any dealers taking orders?
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:37 PM   #7
Space Hipster

Panny's updated info and specs, brochures etc.
Old December 19th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #8
New Boot

Any ideas on what features we can expect with the XL2? I'm looking to buy a DVX100A in Q1 of next year and, like many others, I'd hate to miss out on a cool new XL2 if it's going to be superior to the DVX100A.
Stephen Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #9
Major Player

THere is always going to be something better. Right when the infamous xl2 is going to be released panasonic is going to announce there dvx100a"HD". The question is, are you willing to watch or work. I would recommend getting what will fill your neads. IF the Dvx100A doesn't have everything you absolutely need in a cam, wait for the XL2. HOwever, all this time that you are waiting means that you are losing time on gaining experience with a great camera. And remember, people have been waiting for the XL2 for two years, and there really is nothing to say that it will be released this year, the next, or ever for that matter.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

"And remember, people have been waiting for the XL2 for two years, and there really is nothing to say that it will be released this year, the next, or ever for that matter."

Or that it will have the features you're looking for....
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

This reminds me of the quandry of when and which computer to buy... at some point you just have to jump in and get the best that you can from what works NOW and not the "vaporware" promises of what will be released "in the second quarter of next year". I went through that when I was buying my first NLE back in '94... Matrox was making promises, as was Avid, but the only one that worked as advertized (at that time) was the FAST Video Machine... I have since moved into the IN-Sync system, but I used the Video Machine for a number of years and made a lot of money and grew as an editor and producer. The moral of the story is, if you have a tool that works for you, that's OK. I didn't move from the Video Machine for years, even though other "better" systems had come along.

After reading the review of the new DVX... I feel a lot better about keeping the old DVX for a while... It makes GREAT images, and although it doesn't have all the latest "bells and whistles" it is a tool that works for me. I'll probably get a newer DVX eventually, but I think I'll wait for a few more generations... Maybe the HD version will be reasonable by then.

JUST DO IT!!
Old December 19th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #12
Inner Circle

"IF the Dvx100A doesn't have everything you absolutely need in a cam, wait for the XL2."

i have to disagree due to teh fact that in canons infinate wisdom, they have not provided anyone with any specs yet.

i still think the XL2s or whatever its called is a while away, as most likely canon would have built it based on direct competition with the DVX..
now that the dvxA is coming out, they have to have re-assess their position...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:09 PM   #13
Regular Crew

My question is: how much would a new XL-2 cost? That is to say, how much did the XL-1 or XL-1s cost when it first came out?

I still think the DVX100A would have the edge here--I first thought about waiting for an XL-2, but I can recall a big price for the XL-1s when it came out.

That's something I'd think about, though if I had a whole lot of money, it wouldn't be an issue.
Chris Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #14
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's always been a safe bet to bet against the XL2. People have been looking for the oft-rumored XL2 since 1998.

The XL1 was introduced to compete against the Sony VX1000. In 1997.

Sony has since replaced the VX1000 with a vastly superior, incredibly much better camera, the VX2000. And then added the PD150. And then replaced both of them. In all that time, Canon responded with the barely-warmed over XL1s.

Panasonic has since introduced the DVX100, and already replaced it with the DVX100A. And where is Canon's XL2?

I still say, don't count on ever seeing a miniDV XL2. It would be stupid of them to introduce such a beast. The XL1/s hasn't been competitive since the first VX2000 hit the streets, three years ago. Canon's hope, their future, would be to make an HDV camera and call it the XL2. And if they learn from JVC's mistakes, and from Panasonic's successes (meaning: include REAL audio, full manual controls, and a focusable lens, whether it's removable or not) then they have a chance. Otherwise they are doomed to wither into obscurity, as DVExpo showed.

There. The gauntlet's down. Come on, Canon, prove me wrong -- we'd all love to see it.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 06:20 PM   #15
Major Player

I don't care to weigh in on the XL2/not XL2 v. DVX100(a) debate. All I can say is that after almost a year with my DVX 100 I'm still having my breath taken away at times with the beauty of the images it produces. I'm editng a short I've been working on for the past two months and while I sometimes want for a greater exposure range and longer lens on my DVX, other times I'm blown away at what a $3200 video camera can do. Thanks Panasonic!

(Gosh - that was kind of a goofy post :-))
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant