screw on side of zoom ring? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:42 PM   #1
New Boot

screw on side of zoom ring?

I know this is a dumb question, but I am new to AV and I just got this AG 100. The manual does not say waht this screw is used for. Any help is appreciated.
RonnieB.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:57 PM   #2
New Boot

Ronnie. I'm new to this all too. I bought this camera because it seemed like the best camera to grow with. I don't know what the screw is for either. From what I can gather from the manual, if you are not using it on the zoom, you should take it off and put it in the hole on the handle support... Really, does anyone know what it's for? Good luck with the camera Ronnie.
Kevin Beswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:08 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The zoom ring pin is really more a matter of style than true practical function. I believe it's designed to enable you to manually manipulate the ring with minimal physical contact with the camera. These pins are commonly found on manual lenses of larger professional cameras. <shrug>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:15 PM   #4
DVX User

you are correct.. it avoids you grabbing the whole damn camera an jerking it around... you can also put a longer screw in and it gives a more precise zoom level, as the diameter of the ring increases. The mini knob is kinda silly, but still effective. Its also good for if you are looking through the Eye piece and cant see what you are doing.. you just grab for the knob and know its the zoom.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Okay just lost my zoom ring pin. How do I get a replacement??
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You can probably order it from Panasonic online if you can find the part number.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #7
Major Player

the screw is useless. The ring is too light that zooming with the screw will result in jerkey starts and stops. I always have the screw off and apply gentle pressure onto the lens body when I zoom, just to give it that lil bit more friction for a smoother zoom.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #8
Major Player

I have started to use it without the pin and you are right, the zoom is better now. Thanks.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant