Tell me what camera to get...(just kidding) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 29th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Tell me what camera to get...(just kidding)

Hello good forum members!
In no way is this post intended to resemble the classic "Just tell me the best camera to get" question. I have spent some good time researching the usual SD cameras (Xl1, PD150, DVX100 etc.) and concluded many times that I had made my decision on each of them. I began at the XL1s and had no need for the interchangeable lenses or its flashy pro look, so I moved on to the PD150. After many hours of research and reviews, I am now at the Pan DVX100 (or 100A---whichever I feel I can get a better deal on :))
Ultimately my question has come to this. The 24p feature of the Panny is no doubt its largest selling point. I, however, am currently limited with Premiere Pro, and don't like the choppy look of 24p unadvanced, so most of my work would not be in 24p. This at first led me to remove the DVX100 from my list- the extra price wasn't worth 24p. However, I looked into the camera, and its other features speak well of it--24p excluded. The Pd150 has 380k CCDs, the XL1s 270k, or something like this I believe? The DVX has 410k? Plus a manual lens, and XLR inputs. These two would save me a lot of money over the Canon. Also, even if I don't often use 24p, a good "true progressive" 30p would be nice. So, I do not ask which to buy, but make a statement that seems legitimite from my studies. The Panasonic AG-DVX100 is a most excellent camera for standard 30p or 60i footage and easily comparable to the Canon or Sony equivalents. I am no camera intellect, and would appreciate the "experts" opinions on the validity of this statement. It just seems to me that we have let the 24p feature of the camera belittle its other great qualities, in good old non filmic 29.97.

Thank you very much for reading, please contribute your thoughts...
Fenn Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #2
Outer Circle

From what I gather from your thoughts, you want a DVX100A. Note: only this prosumer cam has progressive scan (which you mentioned you want) while the others only have frame mode.
Quote:
...in good old non filmic 29.97
The PD170 is also mighty fine but no 30P.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #3
Space Hipster

Yes, the 30p mode is great as long as your are not planning on going out to film, creating a 24p progressive DVD or using Magic Bullet to get 24p.

There was a thread on the 30p mode a few weeks ago as it the forgotten feature.
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

" easily comparable to the Canon or Sony equivalents"

I'd modify that to say "easily comparable to the Sony, and quite superior to the Canon."

Also, if you truly have no interest in shooting progressive, don't forget the superb AG-DVC80...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #5
New Boot

100/100A

Frank, I just wanted to clarify your post. The 100 and 100A both shoot true progressive, correct? The way it's written first led me to believe that you mean only in the 100A. Is it so? The 100 will, too, right?

Just checking...
Fenn Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, the 100 shoots true progressive as well (both 24p and 30p).

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant