DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Re: Filters ...? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/19130-re-filters.html)

Mikel Low January 2nd, 2004 01:05 AM

Re: Filters ...?

All -

Happy New Year everyone!

Couple of amateur questions for the pro's (so, please bear with me) about filters for the Panasonic AG-DVX100.

If you folks would be so kind, please provide me with the following information:

1. Most commonly used filter for everyday shooting
2. Manufacturer of the best filter or filter kit(s) and price
3. Filter sizes needed
4. Best place to purchase item(s) online

Thank you - in advance for all of your help.

Frank Granovski January 2nd, 2004 02:31 AM

Best place to buy?

bhphotovideo.com

I would just get a UV and a linear polarizer to begin with. The brand, "B+W," is quite good.

The thread size should be in your manual.

Ken Tanaka January 2nd, 2004 03:36 AM

Hello Mikel,
1. A protective UV filter is probably the most commonly used filter for these, and similar, cameras. They do not have any effect on video (they are designed to reduce the bluish cast that excess ultraviolet light can put onto film emulsions). But they are relatively inexpensive and are used to protect the front element of your camera's lens, particularly when shooting outdoors.

The second most common filter is probably a polarizer, as Frank recommends. It's essential for managing unwanted reflections and the saturation of the sky when shooting in sunlight.

2. There are several manufacturers of excellent filters. Frank already noted B+W. Schneider Optics and Tiffen are two others. I really do not recommend that you purchase a "kit" of filters. Start with the UV and polarizer as Frank recommended. Since the DVX100 already has a built-in 2-stage neutral density (ND) filter you'll probably not need a supplemental ND filter right away (or maybe ever). Beyond these basics, the filters you may consider later are ones that alter the image in special ways. For example, there are filters that can soften the image, warm and soften it, help to control contrast, etc. Many of these filters are graded and can be rather expensive. Since they are generally only used in special circumstances I'd recommend mastering the camera first and then exploring them later. Many folks never use any of these at all.

3. The DVX100 has a 72mm filter diameter for screw-on style filters.

4. As Frank noted, B&H Photo probably has the most extensive selection of filters (or anything else, for that matter). You may also want to check with EVS and Zotz. These are all sponsors of this site and all are excellent dealers. (See our sponsors page for direct links.)

Have fun!

Mikel Low January 3rd, 2004 04:15 PM

awesome

Thank you gents ... you guys are the best. I really do appreciate the information ... although I consider myself a decent photographer ... I feel like such a bleedin' novice with DV. Thanks again.

I just ordered the following filter from b&h ...

72mm UV Haze 010 Glass Filter

Dale Anthony Smith January 3rd, 2004 10:05 PM

Definitely the UV and Polarizer to start...
For interviews... a black diffusion, black pro Mist, or Softar..
to help soften the wrinkles but not so much the focus.

Mikel Low January 4th, 2004 12:11 AM

wrinkles ...

Curious ... now when you say wrinkles ... do you literally mean wrinkles? As in - the wrinkles on your subjects face? That's pretty trippy.

Ken Tanaka January 4th, 2004 12:22 AM

Yes, Dale really means "wrinkles". These are some of the special filters I noted earlier. A Pro Mist filter, for example, is a diffuser that has a smoothing (i.e. detail reduction) effect on your footage. Middle-aged folks generally love what this does for their close-ups.

Paul Leung January 4th, 2004 11:06 AM

Just want to know if both linear polariser and circular polariser are the same in DV? I have a circular one from my SLR camera. Don't know whether it suits my DVX100A being delivered to me. Are filters made for SLR camera generally suitable for DV usage? Thanks.

Jeff Donald January 4th, 2004 11:17 AM

Circular polarizers are fine to use on mini DV cameras. So, if the Cir-Pol you have for your SLR is the correct size or can be adapted via set-up rings, then you can use it.

Mikel Low January 13th, 2004 07:12 PM

coolness ...

just got my uv filter from B&H today and it fits perfectly. My first purchase and they're batting 1 for 1 so far. Thanks for the info gents ... I am truly appreciative. :D

Jaser Stockert January 13th, 2004 07:39 PM

Circular or linear polarizer?

what's the difference and which is preffered? thanks!

Frank Granovski January 13th, 2004 08:15 PM

Either one will work equally the same, but it seems you only need a linear on a DV cam.

Paul Leung January 14th, 2004 03:10 AM

Jaser,
You may want to buy a circular one. Linear polariser affect the auto focus in SLR cameras. Of course, if you will not use it in SLR cameras, it doesn't matter.

Jaser Stockert January 14th, 2004 09:14 AM

thanks frank and paul.

i'm at the schneideroptics site: http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters_for_still_photography/polarizers/ ...

i plan on using the polarizer exclusively for my dvx100a. so i guess the B+W Top polarizer or the B+W circular will work the same on the dvx? any other recommended brand before i purchase? thanks and appreciate your feedback.

Jeff Donald January 14th, 2004 10:30 AM

If you want to only use it on DV, and not still photo equipment, then you can save some money with the linear polarizer. Linear and Circular polarizers perform about equally well on DV. But should you decide to sell the polarizer, the circular pol will be desirable to a much larger market and hold it's value much better.