DVX100 worth it w/o a NLE with pulldown? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 27th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #1
Major Player

DVX100 worth it w/o a NLE with pulldown?

Hey all. I am seriously considering purchasing a dvx100 or 100a in the next couple of months for short films however, I run Adobe Premiere 6.5 which doesn't offer the pull down to edit in true 24 p. I don't plan on transporting any of my shorts to film in the next couple years so it's going to stay on computer screens and televisions.

I've been told that the smooth motions of 24p shooting mode even when captured in a NLE with no pulldown still looks much nicer than if I had shot with normal dv mode. Is this true?

If I don't anticipate buying a new NLE that has pull down for a few years, am I negating one of the larger features of the dvx100 (i understand that the cam itself is outstanding regardless of 24p mode) ?

Thanks for any help on the matter....
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Yes, it's absolutely worth it. You have to watch for edits on judder frames - where the pulldown is split across frames - but other than that, it works fine.
Old January 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Major Player

You can edit DVX 24p footage in any DV-capable NLE. Because it's 29.97 NTSC (for US version of camera). You won't get the pull down removal in Premiere (like you would in Vegas or another 24p-aware NLE) but you can still edit and use your 24p footage and no one will know the difference. So no reason not to get the camera and shoot 24p.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #4
DVX User

yes.. just like when you watch a movie on your dvd player you are watching it without the pulldown.. it still looks good at 60i. The dvd player is basically doing the same thing that your NLE with pulldown would.

And Dont worry Premier will have pulldown support soon.. The DVX is the best selling pro-sumer right now.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant