Ebay Panasonic AG-DVX100A packages... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 29th, 2004, 02:18 AM   #1
New Boot

Ebay Panasonic AG-DVX100A packages...

I found this Ebay auction for the DVX100A.

I placed an order while at work yesterday with B&H for the 100A. Now I have to call them back from home to "verify" that it is a legitimate transaction. So essentially the order hasn't gone thru yet.

So what do you guys think of this package? Usually these packages are just marked up inferior accessories :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=20332<br />

Panasonic AG-DVX100A with:
1. hard case
2. Ultra Wide Angle High Resolution 0.5X Lens
3.Lens Adapter Set for the telephoto or wide-angle lenses:
4.High-Definition 2x LIMITED EDITION professional series Titanium telephoto lens
5. Full Size Professional Video & Photo Tripod
6. PACK OF 3 60/90 MINUTE DV TAPES
7.Deluxe 5pc cleaning kit

Of course we don't know the brands of any of these lenses.
And you can probably forget about a legitimate Panasonic warranty. I've always wondered, everyone always say that manufacturers will not honor a warrantee if you do not buy from an authorized dealer. Well, what if you said you received it as a gift and you honestly do not know where the person got it from. And it would be rude to ask for a receipt or they don't have it anymore. And you send in an official warranty card from the new DVX package you've just received?

Well, I'm probably going to finalize my order with B&H. And my total price came out to $3823 (soft bag, DVD, misc. minor accessories.)
But it definitely doesn't come with all those lenses, HARD case, tripod ...offered in this Ebay auction for just a little more money of $3949! I just thought this auction was interesting on the surface. Of course the auction claims a "Brand New with USA warranty"--"Year Parts and Labor Warranty and
90 Days Warranty on Video / Audio Heads"

BTW-I am NOT worried about the whole auction being a scam and never receiving the item. The seller has fine rating. And I've made many big ticket purchases on Ebay and my credit card company and Paypal will back me up. I'm only concerned about getting a real Panasonic warranty for the 1st year in case it needs to be sent in for service.

Even if the lenses are inferior, they'll serve SOME use? I'm assuming the lenses will work with DVX100A? Heck, the hard case,tripod alone with camera is a decent price...
Auction claims it's a "$5,285.80 Total Valued Kit"

Any thoughts? Bogus deal? :)
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:32 AM   #2
DVX User

everything extra the auction comes with I would not recommend you using..

The lens where not made for the camera and require step down rings (or step up rings, which would be really really bad) That tripod you can buy for $29 at circuit city, those tapes are not the recommended tapes for the camera , that case is made by optex and sells for $50... I actually cant believe they stuffed the dvx in that case, its gonna be a real hard fit... look at the camera they put in the case. and qtips?.. jesus.

The only thing you may get some use out of is the blower brush in the lens cleaning kit.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:34 AM   #3
Outer Circle

Quote:
I placed an order while at work yesterday with B&H for the 100A. Now I have to call them back from home to "verify" that it is a legitimate transaction. So essentially the order hasn't gone thru yet.
I would go with B&H. They have a good track record, especially when there's a problem with the item. There may be no recourse with an e-bay transaction if something's not right.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Dr. Nguyen,

We usually recommend avoiding Ebay for camcorder purchases. There are easier, faster and ultimately less expensive ways to buy gear. Our authorized DV Info Net Sponsors (of which B&H is one) are the best dealers in the business. On Ebay, however, it's always a gamble. See our Buyer's Guide to Using Ebay for more info.

The verification phone call from B&H is for your own protection and is demonstrative of their excellent commitment to customer service. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #5
Space Hipster

This package is a whole lot of junk. While there are good deals on ebay, the generally are not for things like new cameras, computers and electronics. Prices are generally not the lowest, items are often "open box" and advertised as new (ads state that items was only opened for picture taking...yeah, I believe that) and returns, customer service are scary at best.

Ebay is much better for finding hard to find, used items - then you get some really good deals and find some very nice sellers.

But case in point - I had to sell my DVX100's over the past year to a counterfeit check scam. Sold them here via classified to buyers who knew of me from forum.

I decided to buy a SLR kit to still be able to make films (via twixtor - that's anothe story) and looked at buying used on ebay but ended up not finding much savings. Bought a new Elan 7e and lenses which my local cam store could not source from B&H - with their prices and rebates it beat new and used prices on ebay.

Arrived quickly and one UV filter had manufacturing defect. EZ return to B&H for refund.

I also had to buy a t41p thinkpad last week for my part-time consulting work. Buying direct from IBM is very pricey. Several sellers are ebay advertised low price (about 5% less than IBM and promised free shipping and no sales tax).

However, using resellerratings.com and pricegrabber.com, I found it for 25% less from a reputable seller. I did find a second AC adaptor for $20 new in the box on ebay.

However, I have a killer shark shaped guitar ($250) and ton of shark gear (talking cookie jars and the like --check my email address for my obsession with sharks) from ebay finds. Would have never found that stuff anywhere else.

Bottomline after this ramble - ebay is too popular and frequented by too many uneducated buyers willing to pay far too much for high profile items. Great for sellers, especially unscrupulous ones on big ticket items.

Note, B&H sells more than just cameras. You can find great deals on a variety of items and they have a changing stock of clearance and used items as well.
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

B&H is an excellent operation and has consumed more of my dollars over the past years than I'd care to admit. Consider also giving one of our new sponsors, EVS, a look. That's where I bought my 100A.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #7
Space Hipster

Thanks for the heads up on EVS - did not know about them before or realize they are now a sponsor.
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #8
DVX User

EVS rocks.. thier service are second to none and they will usually beat BH prices if you just ask. Cody and Rush are two people I completely trust and never have had a bad experience.
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Cody Martin and Rush Hamden are awesome guys to deal with either in person, over the phone or online. Proud to say I've known 'em for years and it was about time we got them on the site here. You can't go wrong with EVS.

I've used Ebay to help assemble a collection of vintage film gear and a few rare books. It's great for stuff like that, but I'd never consider it for new camcorders... that's what EVS and our other Sponsors are for!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #10
DVX User

Yes, good work Chris. They have supported us for the last year and helped our members out significantly. Even this morning I made an order for some personal stuff and the response time and service level was outstanding.
Old January 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks, everyone. Looks like Ebay is out.

Jarred thanks for talking about the lenses and case. I can't believe they would sell the lenses and lead you to believe they fit without attachments. And I didn't realize that case was "unfit" for the DVX100A.

I guess, I've only used Ebay for a bunch of golf clubs. Really different from technical and potentially temperamental pro camcorders.

I'm going to verify with B&H later :)
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Deluxe 5pc cleaning kit - on that page it says retail value $29.95, the one i saw at bestbuy that contains all the same stuff, $5.99....

not to mention that tripod looks really crappy...

As for the case, I got a soft bag from b&h for $29, its quite a good deal..
Johnny Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 09:27 PM   #13
New Boot

B&H verified me as well...

They do that because credit card fraud is completely out of control. Just call them back and they'll be fine.
Mike Harpe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant