I Just Did It !!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I Just Did It !!!!

I JUST BOUGHT MY 1st 3CCD CAMERA
I can't belive I did it. I just bought the DVC80 after spending over a year saving and reading forums I finaly did it.
I have to say thanks to every one that helped me pick this camera out.
I am getting it from B&H and I am getting the 2 to 4 day shiping so it should be here next week.
I am so stoked.
hey has anyone from BC gotten anything shiped from the US ... what kind of duty is there, is it just 14% or is there more ?
thanks again everyone
Michael
soon to be owner of a DVC80
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

Congrats!
I ship lots of stuff in from the US. Are you using UPS? If so, be prepared for a $40+ brokerage fee on top of the duty. Some UPS shipping includes the brokerage, some doesn't. Purolator charges brokerage too. If you ship via the postal service, there is no brokerage. Not sure about FedEx.

I think it's 14% tax at the border.
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:04 AM   #3
Outer Circle

There is no duty. You just pay the same taxes as as you would with buying something locally (in Vancouver). That would be 14.5% (7% GST + 7.5% PST).

Depending how it was shipped, you may or may not have to pay brokerage fees. How did you ship it?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I thought USPS brokerage is something like $8USD? Anyways, it's reasonable.

UPS is daylight robbery. My school bought a bunch of mini-DV tapes and the brokerage was around $40.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I got it shiped "UPS EXPEDITED" 2 to 4 days. I dont know if there will be a brokerage fee but i dont care it is to late now. I just want my camera !!!!
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:38 AM   #6
Outer Circle

There should be no brokerage fee then, since it isn't regular ground service.
Old January 30th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #7
Wrangler

I just had a $40 item shipped from the US. I told the sender not to ship UPS but they did anyway. There was $7 in tax (fine), and $35 for UPSs brokerage fee, on top of UPS's $25 shipping cost. I told UPS to send it back, they said, OK, but it'll be another $25.
This has happened to me several times.

A friend of mine got it worse. His girlfriend in the US send him a NASCAR hat that cost $20 for Christmas via Purolator. She put the value as $25 or something (no tax on under $20 items), and paid them $25 for shipping to get it to him for Christmas. There was $3 in tax and a $30 brokerage fee. So the little $20 hat cost almost $80 (over $100cdn). Plus the best part... It arrived a week after Christmas.
None of these A-holes ever warn you that they will jack you up for brokerage, and when confronted as to why they do, but the postal service doesn't, they say "the government makes us do it". WHat BS.
Sorry for my anti shipping rant. I hate them so very very much.
Old January 30th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #8
Outer Circle

FEDEX first, UPS second (other than normal ground), are the ones I trust, though it's always a darn good idea to have the item insured---especially with UPS, based on my sad experiences with them.
Old January 30th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #9
Major Player

Congratulations!

I'm happy for you, Michael. I hope you enjoy shooting with your DVC80 as much as I do mine.

After five weeks of getting to know the camcorder, I'm trying to get in the habit of using the manual zoom instead of servo, mainly to improve battery life. I have plenty of batteries -- 3 x 1600 mAh and 1 x 3000 mAh, but I'm conservative this way. Overall, the DVC80 is easy to use, well balanced in handheld shooting, and just plain looks cool. Oh, and the external microphone mount does a good job of isolating mics from the camera.

TJB
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Well I just got up... it is my day off and i needed to sleep in. When I got up I ran over to my PC to check my order status and my email, here is what i found

Please be advised that your order cannot be processed due to
the following reason(s):

Unverifiable address

Please fax or E-mail a scanned image of a phone bill, utility bill or
driver license showing the "shipping address"

I dont have a scaner !!!!!! that is BS. so i called them and i got a recording saying please leave all your info and if you have not heard back in a day they everything is OK. what is that !! grrrr I am not worried about getting the camera i know that B&H are the sh*t and that they will not burn me but i hate having to jump through hoops

Thanks
Michael
Old January 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

So I have called and left a message telling them my name and order # and regave them my address plus I faxed a copy of my phone bill with my address on it to the number. I did both 12pm PST and my order still says "Processing". is there anything eles i can do?
Thanks
Michael
Old January 30th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #12
Major Player

First I'd recommend taking a second to catch your breath. I know that it is frustrating to have a delay, but you just ordered the camera yesterday. You waited a year already; whats an extra day or two.

And don't worry -- B&H is a very respectable company (as you already know). They are only doing this for both your safety and theirs. When I ordered my DVC80 from them I also had to confirm my identity, because our home number is still listed under my wife's maiden name. I simply had to tell them the name that the number was listed under and everything was fine.

12 pm PST is 3 pm EST, which is pretty close to closing time (how hard do *you* work on Fridays? :D ) -- so your cam may not ship until Monday. IIRC, they do answer the phones on Saturday. Call them tomorrow and make sure that they got the fax. As always, get names -- who you are speaking to, whom to address the fax, etc. This will help you get a faster response (and it just sounds better than "Some guy told me to fax my info over to some guy there").

It also helps to use a credit card that has the same billing address as yout home, and to explain to B&H any discrepancies they find (like my wife's maiden name thing...)

Enjoy your DVC80!
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #13
Regular Crew

thanks for the pep-talk. I know I have waited for the camera for over a year, but it seems like this last week is taking forever. Part of the deal I made with myself, is when I bought the camera, I would quit smoking. Now that I've bought it I have a lot of free time on my hands, because I've quit smoking (1and 1/2 days) smoke-free). I know b&h won't burn me, I know they're making sure that I am who I am. But this stinkin anticipation is killing me. I swear to god time itself is going backwards. Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic, or maybe its the withdrawal. So if b&h is open tommoroow I can call and confirm that they recieved my fax, and have satisfaction to know that there is a person at the other end of this transaction, and its not a faceless company.
thanks again,
still jonseing
Michael
Old January 30th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #14
Inner Circle

You sure they answer the phones on Saturday? I'm looking at my B&H lighting catalog and it says they're closed. They're open Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST. They close at 1 p.m. on Fridays, by the way.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:25 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

The good folks at B&H are people of faith. They always observe the Shabat, or Sabbath, which begins at sundown on Friday through all of Saturday. However, they are open on most Sundays! Here's their holiday schedule for 2004. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant