DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   anamorphic adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/20906-anamorphic-adapter.html)

Nathan Nix February 5th, 2004 05:13 PM

anamorphic adapter

So I've read most everything I could find about the differences b/w the 100 and the 100a and I've read about the anamorphic adapter as opposed to the on-camera 16:9. After wading through all of the info, I would like an opinion...

With the prices of the 100 falling due to the 100a, would I be better off getting a 100 plus an adapter or the 100a without an adapter and just use its digital squeeze? I would be looking at close to the same amount either way, just wondering other's opinions.

Thanks,
Nathan Nix

Ken Tanaka February 5th, 2004 05:43 PM

It really depends on what you mean by "better off".

Bryan Roberts February 5th, 2004 06:15 PM

Personally, I can't stand to shoot in the squeeze mode. True, it's closer to a true 16:9 than just chopping the top and bottom in a crop mode but it's hard to judge exact image composition when it looks this way on the camera. I figure, if you're not going true 16:9, then just give it the chop. I just got my 100a and I had some time to play around with a 100 before I decided to go with the 100a. I think a few things sold me on it: the time lapse is great for sunsets etc, I would like to think panasonic addressed some of the "head wear" issues and using dv tapes other than their highest quality panny tapes (I use only sony as they've been tried and true for me) and the fact of the extra tweaks and improvements in the image processing. I figure, if I'm going to spend 3 grand, I want it to stay up to date for as long as possible. Now, if I had already purchased a 100 6 months ago, the A wouldn't bother me one bit, as the 100 is an amazing cam by itself, I just decided to put a little extra in. I guess it's important to evaluate realistically what you could be using this camera for. If your uses don't demand the extra perks, then don't get the A because the stock 100 is "revolutionarily" damn good.

Mike Morrell February 9th, 2004 06:42 PM

I've got two of these anamorphic adapters and I've posted a lot about my observations in this forum before. I find that these adapters are difficult to focus for event or sports use. And remember that you MUST focus manually when using these adapters. Focusing has been impossible for me in full telephoto.

While I am able to retain 480 lines of resolution by using these lenses, I would not recommend them for event or field use. I'd also recommend making sure that you have a sharp external field monitor when using these lenses too.

Rodger Marjama February 9th, 2004 10:12 PM

Just got the DVX100a today. I've been trying to get one since before they came out over 1-1/2 years ago, but something else always seemed to come first.

Gotta tell you I am overly impressed this camera and with squeeze mode. I did just a few minute test in the house, and I don't believe what I've seen is possible!!! -$3400 and I'm looking at FILM on my 19" monitor. Just amazing!

I will be shooting alot of fast pace actions shots and also nature videography so I am most likely going to get the Century 1.6 Tele-Converter and use squeeze mode. Obviously, just starting out with this camera, I'll know more as time moves along -- But for now...

I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!!

-Rodger

Bryan Roberts February 10th, 2004 12:23 AM

Just to clarify, the only use for the Squeeze mode is when using the anamorphic adapters correct? Thanks :)

Barry Green February 10th, 2004 10:08 AM

No, quite the opposite. Squeeze mode is used INSTEAD of the anamorphic adapter.

Squeeze mode is a way to turn the 4:3 DVX camera into shooting 16:9. The anamorphic adapter is another way to turn the 4:3 DVX footage into 16:9.

Jason Epperson February 19th, 2004 01:31 PM

Century 1.6 Tele-Converter?

This question is probably directed more to Rodger unless someone else also knows about it.

What exactly is the Century 1.6 Tele-Converter used for and how can it help my production?

Rodger Marjama February 19th, 2004 03:31 PM

Re: Century 1.6 Tele-Converter?

Quote:

Originally posted by Jason Epperson : This question is probably directed more to Rodger unless someone else also knows about it.

What exactly is the Century 1.6 Tele-Converter used for and how can it help my production?
This converts the standard 4.5-45mm lens on the DVX100(A) to 36-72mm -- or about 2/3 more zoom. I'll need it to get a bit *closer in* on some of my nature work primarily but obviously it would benefit many other types of work as well.

Here's Century's link to the 1.6 Tele-Converter: http://www.centuryoptics.com/product..._tc/16x_tc.htm you can check out.

-Rodger

Barry Green February 20th, 2004 12:29 AM

Notice that it doesn't say that it just gives you an overall longer zoom range, it says that it gives you 36-72mm. That means that they're saying you have an effective 2:1 zoom lens. Anything wider than about 36mm will start vignetting.

So it gives you longer maximum reach, but it's not something you can use in all circumstances -- basically a special-purpose lens.

Brandt Wilson February 20th, 2004 04:59 PM

Quick question, somewhat OT:

Has anyone compared the 16:9 squeeze mode on the 100 to the native 16:9mode on the PDX10?

Matthew de Jongh February 20th, 2004 10:38 PM

i played with the squeeze mode and it looks amazing, but unless i'm going to be able to use my sony ntsc monitor that has 16:9 mode i can't figure out if it would be usable.

its a shame there isn't a way to show the squeeze mode unsqueezed on the onboard lcd.

the footage i have shot in the fake letterbox mode looks wonderful.

matthew