infrared capabilities of AG-DVC30 in daylight? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 14th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

infrared capabilities of AG-DVC30 in daylight?

Does anyone know if this new AG-DVC30 camera will allow you to record infrared scenes in broad daylight? Or is crippled like the Sony Camcorders to only record infrared at nighttime? I like the fact that it is recorded in B&W and not that stupid green tint that Sony puts on its infrared footage.

Years ago I took apart a JVC GRDV1 mini DV camcorder and removed the bluish infrared blocking filter. The resulting infrared footage was amazing. Dreamy landscapes with blazing white grass.

I want to use this feature for some wedding work and I'm debating whether to get a cheap mini DV camcorder and modifying it myself or to buy this new AG-DVC30 camcorder.

And one last thing, I don't want to use it to see through a handfull of wet bathing suits, which was a craze when Sony first made the infrared capable camcorders and then the reason why Sony crippled the funciton for daylight recording.
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I believe the brochure says specifically it can't be used for recording "in bright lighting, such as outdoors in daylight". You can download the brochure from the Panasonic site.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Also, many of those Sony cams have an in-cam black/white feature that, when switched on along with the infrared function, will give you that look that you're talking about.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How sad that they've hobbled their new camera because of a few fetishists. I've been waiting for a proper infrared-enabled dv camera for a long time.
Jef Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #5
DVX User

in 3 chip cameras the prism actually naturally kills the infared signal, so that is probally why the more pro cameras dont (or cant) use them.

I do have a cheap handicam that has IR light off the front.. love using it at night in total darkness.. image quality sucks but is better than nothing.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant