HELP! Problem capturing dvx-100 footage! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 19th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #1
Major Player

HELP! Problem capturing dvx-100 footage!

dvx-100 specific capture problem!
Hello.

i am having a real problem capturing video from my dvx-100

i have had the problem with my canopus raptor rt2 card and now i have a new matrox rtx-100 card and the problem persists...

the footage was shot on a dvx-100a with the in camera FAKE letterbox i.e. 4:3 footage with black bars above/below but it is NOT in 16:9 or anamorphic etc.

the footage comes into premiere as 720x480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 not .9

i can't get any help from the manufacturers because as soon as they hear dvx-100 they automatically blame it on the camera being 24p and kind of shut down on listening to anything else.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Make sure your project is set to 4:3, .9 pixels. Right click on the footage and make sure it's set the same.

Premiere has always been annoying when dealing with 16:9. One of the many reasons I dumped it.
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #3
Major Player

i'm not sure what you mean, i am definitely using premiere project settings of 720x480 .9 pixel

my footage is NOT 16:9 it is 4:3 with black overlays, i use the "letterbox" option in the cameras setup menu.

to the best of my knowledge this is simply 4:3 with the top and bottom margins blacked out.

the footage in premiere is 720x480 with pixels of 1.2

i can do an interpret in premiere and tell it to change it to .9 but that seems like a lame workaround at best and dangerous even?

matthew
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #4
Space Hipster

I understand it's not 16:9 - you have to do the interpret footage in Premiere. I have not used it since version 6 but that's what I always had to do.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:53 PM   #5
Major Player

ok i'll try that...

when i captured directly into premiere i never had to do that, but with the matrox card it doesn't want you to capture directly.

matthew
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #6
Space Hipster

Also, check your Matrox driver settings (if it's like the old drivers, there were two places for this setting) that it's not flagging your footage as widescreen on capture.
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #7
Major Player

that is the thing, nowhere can i find any setting for what it is capturing it as.

matthew
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:40 AM   #8
Space Hipster

Can't help - suggest you post in the Matrox forums. I sold my RT2000 over a year ago.
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #9
Major Player

yeah this matrox thing is sucking wind pretty bad...

i thought it would be an improvement over the canopus raptor rt2 but i'm thinking it is a big step backwards...

i have a copy of vegas on the way but it is so different from premiere that i'm just not sure that i want to switch...

matthew
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Mathew..
I have been using Vegas now for almost a year.. This is what I do know... Yes, there is a learning curve; but, it is different in layout than a pinnacle, avid or Adobe product .. Its a drag and drop on the timeline kinda layout. It is much easier to use so.. they say

If you were to go to the Vegas forum you would find there people who love Vegas. you would find somewhat of a cult following.. The reasons for this are many.. robust.. crash free for most of us : ) can do most anything the big boys can do.. at a fraction of the cost.

Im biased but i compell you to go to the forum wherein you will find all the other users there biased as well.. Also they are very knowledgable and eager to help. If you have a problem like your describing you would find many people there who would help you.. Post your question with the bug (not many to report) or problem your having and your likely to have a dozen replies within an 8 hour period.. I whole heartedly recommend Vegas and I feel if you were to start using it you would never ever even consider for a moment going back.

People using it will say the same.. people using Premeire and Avid have not gone back after using Vegas.. my 2cents : )
Scott Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #11
Space Hipster

I agree with Scott. I had use Sound Forge, Acid but I still had a learning curve (I bought the Vegas Tutorial book for $20 - money well spent) but after a couple of days of going through that I got how Vegas deals with video.

It's a joy to use.
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #12
Major Player

which vegas book did you get? can you post the exact title?

i picked up a copy of vegas-dvd shrink wrapped really really cheap so i'm going to play with it.

the demo was awkward because i am just so used to and so comfortable in premiere, but the features in vegas are damn tempting, plus a few of the features could be useful even if i just use it for those and then export it to premiere.

matthew
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #13
Space Hipster

It the Video and Audio Production with Vegas 4 that Sonic Foundry Press put out - I assume it's still available. If not, you are welcome to mine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant