DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   generating tone on my dvx100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/22221-generating-tone-my-dvx100.html)

Ryan Wachter March 1st, 2004 05:49 PM

generating tone on my dvx100

How do I generate tone and the beginning of my tape so I can keep my sound consistent in post....or does it automatically do that since Im not using a second source for sound? I am running sound straight out the camera.
Thanks
Ryan

Rob Lohman March 2nd, 2004 03:53 AM

To the best of my knowledge no con / pro-sumer camera can
generate a tone to lay down to tape. You will have to use an
external device that can generate a tone and record from that.

Christopher Go March 2nd, 2004 07:59 AM

Perhaps you could bring a mixer capable of producing tone for your shoot? Another option is Fostex's TT-15 Tone Oscillator, which sells for around $60 US. Click on this for information.

Ryan Wachter March 2nd, 2004 09:31 AM

Thank you guys very much for your help. I havent really heard much talk on the subject and was wondering if there was an obvious answer or if no one really bothers with it.

Tyler Gred March 2nd, 2004 12:58 PM

You can lay down a tone in premiere pro with color bars at the start of the tape. I set my timecode to 00:58:30:00 and record 30 secs. of tone and color bars and a min of black.

Ryan Wachter March 2nd, 2004 01:38 PM

I use final cut so I am not familiar with premiere....now you are laying this down on the tape itself? Also how do you set it, what level do you put it at and such.

Tyler Gred March 2nd, 2004 02:04 PM

Yeah you just lay down the bars and tone and export to tape at the start. You can adjust it to any level using the mixer within premiere pro, but I usually leave it at -12. I believe 0 is the peak level you can go in digital without it distorting.

Ryan Wachter March 2nd, 2004 02:50 PM

Excellent...does anyone know if this is an option on final cut pro 4 as well?

Finally, now that you have set tone to 12 what exactly does this do for you?

Rick Foxx March 2nd, 2004 03:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ryan Wachter : Excellent...does anyone know if this is an option on final cut pro 4 as well?

Finally, now that you have set tone to 12 what exactly does this do for you? -->>>

In FCP 4, look in the Video Generators effects folder. I believe it's called Bars and Tone. The -12db tone is used as a reference when calibrating the playback system. The tone tells the tape operator where to set the levels for playback.

Rick

Ryan Wachter March 2nd, 2004 05:16 PM

The operator of what exactly? If it is transfered to say dvd then you dont have tone at the beginning of the movie to tell you where to set your tv volume controls. So where exactly does this helpful tone come into play....again I want to thank you for your help.

Ken Tanaka March 2nd, 2004 06:06 PM

By "operator" I believe Rick refers to a technician, perhaps broadcast, who would be using a tape produced by someone else.

Obviously, if you're just producing a personal dvd the bars-and-tone effort is largely pointless.

Barry Green March 2nd, 2004 06:28 PM

Yep. Tone is used primarily to calibrate different sources to use a common level. So, if dubbing a DV tape to BetaSP, you'd put tone at the head of your tape, and the technician would then calibrate the BetaSP deck so that the audio input levels were appropriate for the tone that's being sent.

Or, tone is used by a field mixer to calibrate the levels the mixer is seeing to what the camera is recording.

But if it's for your own personal projects, and nobody has to calibrate anything to your video, then tone is not necessary.

Rick Foxx March 2nd, 2004 08:28 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : Yep. Tone is used primarily to calibrate different sources to use a common level. So, if dubbing a DV tape to BetaSP, you'd put tone at the head of your tape, and the technician would then calibrate the BetaSP deck so that the audio input levels were appropriate for the tone that's being sent.

Or, tone is used by a field mixer to calibrate the levels the mixer is seeing to what the camera is recording.

But if it's for your own personal projects, and nobody has to calibrate anything to your video, then tone is not necessary. -->>>

My answer was clear as mud. Barry said it much better than I did.

Ryan Wachter March 2nd, 2004 08:49 PM

That will do it, now one last thing. If I am planning on sending my project to film festivals am I going to still want the tone? Or say sending it in to a public tc show?

Ken Tanaka March 2nd, 2004 08:54 PM

There are no universal answers to those questions. Contact the respective venues to determine what they prefer.