generating tone on my dvx100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

generating tone on my dvx100

How do I generate tone and the beginning of my tape so I can keep my sound consistent in post....or does it automatically do that since Im not using a second source for sound? I am running sound straight out the camera.
Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:53 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

To the best of my knowledge no con / pro-sumer camera can
generate a tone to lay down to tape. You will have to use an
external device that can generate a tone and record from that.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Perhaps you could bring a mixer capable of producing tone for your shoot? Another option is Fostex's TT-15 Tone Oscillator, which sells for around $60 US. Click on this for information.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you guys very much for your help. I havent really heard much talk on the subject and was wondering if there was an obvious answer or if no one really bothers with it.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM   #5
New Boot

You can lay down a tone in premiere pro with color bars at the start of the tape. I set my timecode to 00:58:30:00 and record 30 secs. of tone and color bars and a min of black.
Tyler Gred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I use final cut so I am not familiar with premiere....now you are laying this down on the tape itself? Also how do you set it, what level do you put it at and such.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM   #7
New Boot

Yeah you just lay down the bars and tone and export to tape at the start. You can adjust it to any level using the mixer within premiere pro, but I usually leave it at -12. I believe 0 is the peak level you can go in digital without it distorting.
Tyler Gred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Excellent...does anyone know if this is an option on final cut pro 4 as well?

Finally, now that you have set tone to 12 what exactly does this do for you?
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ryan Wachter : Excellent...does anyone know if this is an option on final cut pro 4 as well?

Finally, now that you have set tone to 12 what exactly does this do for you? -->>>

In FCP 4, look in the Video Generators effects folder. I believe it's called Bars and Tone. The -12db tone is used as a reference when calibrating the playback system. The tone tells the tape operator where to set the levels for playback.

Rick
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The operator of what exactly? If it is transfered to say dvd then you dont have tone at the beginning of the movie to tell you where to set your tv volume controls. So where exactly does this helpful tone come into play....again I want to thank you for your help.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:06 PM   #11
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

By "operator" I believe Rick refers to a technician, perhaps broadcast, who would be using a tape produced by someone else.

Obviously, if you're just producing a personal dvd the bars-and-tone effort is largely pointless.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:28 PM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yep. Tone is used primarily to calibrate different sources to use a common level. So, if dubbing a DV tape to BetaSP, you'd put tone at the head of your tape, and the technician would then calibrate the BetaSP deck so that the audio input levels were appropriate for the tone that's being sent.

Or, tone is used by a field mixer to calibrate the levels the mixer is seeing to what the camera is recording.

But if it's for your own personal projects, and nobody has to calibrate anything to your video, then tone is not necessary.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : Yep. Tone is used primarily to calibrate different sources to use a common level. So, if dubbing a DV tape to BetaSP, you'd put tone at the head of your tape, and the technician would then calibrate the BetaSP deck so that the audio input levels were appropriate for the tone that's being sent.

Or, tone is used by a field mixer to calibrate the levels the mixer is seeing to what the camera is recording.

But if it's for your own personal projects, and nobody has to calibrate anything to your video, then tone is not necessary. -->>>

My answer was clear as mud. Barry said it much better than I did.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:49 PM   #14
Regular Crew

That will do it, now one last thing. If I am planning on sending my project to film festivals am I going to still want the tone? Or say sending it in to a public tc show?
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:54 PM   #15
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

There are no universal answers to those questions. Contact the respective venues to determine what they prefer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant