AG-DVC30 various topics - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:40 AM   #166
New Boot

Yeah I did some research right after my post and realized that it's just the LCD and not the CCD. Which is good, but still kind of annoying. Talked to B&H about it and they said 1 hot LCD pixel doesn't warrant an exchange according to the manufacturer. I was a bit surprised about that. Kind of stinks, but it could definitely be worse. Don't guess there is much else I can do at this point. Other than that I'm loving the camera!

Just curious though, are there alot of people out there with hot LCD pixels? Just wondering if it's really that common...
Richie Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:31 AM   #167
Regular Crew

Check the Panasonic web site

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...0&displayTab=R

you can find a User Guide and brochure there.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:47 AM   #168
Major Player

When I looked at that camera, I seem to remember it was very similar to the DVX100a, but without 24p. You may be able to use Barry's DVX book to SOME benefit, but I am only guessing.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:18 PM   #169
New Boot

Same Problem

Hey,
I got my DVX100A about a week ago, and sure enough, there are about three hot, green pixels on my LCD. They aren't too noticeable, but they are annoying. I actually didn't notice them until tonight. ARG! Is this definitely the LCD and not a fault on the CCD? I captured some video, zoomed in on Premiere, and didn't seem to notice anything. Makes me think it is just the LCD, which is okay since most of my shooting comes through the viewfinder anyway. Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Paul
Paul Benjamin Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #170
New Boot

Sorry for the dealys, just back from vacation (on which my DVC30 also went!)

In my case the pixel was definitely on the CCD itself. I overnighted the camera to B&H on a Thursday and they overnighted me a new one by Saturday morning. They were very helpful.

Before sending it back I called Panasonic on the advice of one of the engineers at work (I work for a TV network) to see if the pixel could be mapped out without sending it in. Apparently our studio cameras remap if you black balance several times in a row.

Panasonic was also very helpful and told me that their less expensive cameras didn't have this feature. He asked me if I was sure it was the CCD and not on the LCD, but then stopped himself and told me it didn't matter since I should not tolerate a camera that had *any* dead pixels on the LCD either. Apparently Panny is very proud of their build quality.

I would call their professional tech support if B&H won't exchange it for a dead LCD pixel.

I appreciate what B&H did for me though since it was definitely Panasonic's responsibility in the first place.
Robert Loncaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #171
New Boot

Cool, thanks for the advice Robert. I shot with it all last weekend and rarely even noticed the one bad pixel. It's not as annoying as I originally thought it would be. I guess I am just too busy looking at the beautiful pictures this camera makes! I am really impressed with this little cam.
Richie Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #172
Inner Circle

The Raynox 6600PRO is a bit of a special in that it's quite a powerful wide-angle converter that has minimal barrel distortion. It's much better in this department than the much more expensive Century 0.65x lens for instance, the only downside is that the Raynox goes soft after the mid way point on the zoom towards tele.

Raynox are very up front about this, but the softness (a mixture of flare and chromatic aberation) can be used to good effect on ladies of a certain age. For me the lack of barrel distortion means I can track room to room without the door frames bowing outwards as I pass through them - a big give-away of an 'amateur' at work.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #173
Major Player

I have the Kenko .65Xpro wide angle that I use with a stepup ring. I also have a clap on sunshade that is made for this lens that costs about $35. I use 2 step up rings, 1 43-55 and the other 55-58. No problems after a year so far.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #174
Regular Crew

On my dvc30 i use one 43mm-52mm from hama which fits "inside" the hood mounting and then i use a 52-58 ring from century.

Pics("autofocus" from hell...):
http://www.chma.net/images/cam.jpg
http://www.chma.net/images/lens.jpg

I use a 58mm Century wide angel and I also have a Century 58mm fisheye lens. Expensive, yeah, but you can feel the quality and the result as far as I can se isn't actually bad either...quite good;)
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:43 AM   #175
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
When I looked at that camera, I seem to remember it was very similar to the DVX100a, but without 24p. You may be able to use Barry's DVX book to SOME benefit, but I am only guessing.
Can anyone comment on this? Would this book on the DVX100a be valuable to a DVC30 owner?

Thanks in advance.
Jonathan Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #176
New Boot

DVC30 Users: What is your setup?

Since we have the same cameras, how have you accessorized your cameras? I'm asking because I think that it helps to see what others have so that when others are looking to buy accessories, they don't have to ask and hope that someone answers. This will give them a place to come and see what others have been successful with. Please also note what you generally use your equipment to do.

I'll start.

OEM Accessories: XLR Adapter, Wide Angle Lens, 9-hour Hi-Cap Battery
Mics: Rode VideoMic, Sennheiser EW100G2 Lavaliere
Filters: Tiffen UV Protector, Tiffen Soft/FX 3
Tapes: Panasonic Professional Quality (PQ)
Lights: Bescor MPL-325B Camera Light, Lowel Omni's, Tota, and Rifa lights with Impact 3218 stands
Tripod: Manfrotto 3046 with 501 Video Head and extra pan handle
Case: Pelican 1610
Misc.: Varizoom VZ-ROCK-DVX Zoom Controller, Impact 42" 5-in-1 Reflector Discs

Applications: Corporate videos for marketing and training.
Settings: Normally shooting in office buildings, factory floors, etc.
Jeff Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #177
Major Player

I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Must have's- XLR adapter (I tried to get away without buying it, but finally caved in. Life is easy now). rode NTG-2 shotgun (a bit long, but audio is so much better). fur cover for the shotgun (I laugh at wind now). Kenko pro .65 wide angle (not specifically this wide angle but a wide angle is great to have). Nice big sunshade for the wide angle lens.

filter-tiffen UV filter

light- I just bought a cheap sunpak light 20 watt ($25). not a great light but at least I have one now. I would like to have a variable output but i'm too cheap. a bit of toilet paper cuts it down enough.

Battery- went for one high capacity battery, can shoot most of the day with it.

tapes- I went for sony tapes as they were easier to find in stores.

shoulder mount- I bought a used shoulder mount for those long hand held shots.

Bag- I bought a cheap bag, holds the essentials.

Head- I bought a lower line bogen head. simple, sturdy.

Other stuff- I took my tripod that I had for my spotting scope, heavy but already own it.
manfrotto articulating arm mount with one of those superclamps. Clamp it to anything, position the camera anywhere I want and lock it into place. etymotic in ear headphones (awesome sound and cuts outside noise by 30db which is great for shooting in loud places). Radioshack headphones (not great sound but has a retractable cord so I can have just enough cord and not get tangled up in it). apple 12" laptop for on the road editing and using as an external monitor.

application- I shoot music related interviews, behind the scenes at studios and concerts, audio demonstrations, and a few triathalons.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #178
New Boot

Brilliant idea, Jeff! I'm 17, still a beginner, but here's what I've got:

OEM Accessories: XLR Adapter, 9-hour Hi-Cap Battery
Mics: Rode NTG-2 Shotgun (still need a dead cat, what kind do you have, Michael?)
Filters: None (yet!). Any recommendations on a ND?
Tapes: Panasonic Master Quality (MQ)
Lights: None (yet!). When I get the money I might go with a starter Lowel kit.
Tripod: Manfrotto 3221WN Wilderness legs with 503 (3460) Video Head and extra pan handle
Case: Porta Brace bag
Misc.: Philips Noise-Cancelling Headphones

Applications: Student-led and directed films, sports footage for my school's lacrosse teams.
Settings: Shooting outside a lot for sports, and inside a lot for the films. I've got my settings on Manual, haven't experimented with the "Film-like" mode or any of that (yet!), and the servo-ring controls the zoom. I find it to be easier to use than the rocker when it's securely mounted on a tripod.

Ha and when I win the lottery...Steadicam Merlin!
Derek Brameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #179
New Boot

Sunshade/Mattebox for DVC30 & Raynox 6600PRO

Can anyone advise me of sunshade and/or mattebox with french flag that will fit the DVC30. I would also like it to fit a Raynox 6600PRO, too, if possible. If not possible, what sunshades/matteboxes fit the Raynox?
Douglas Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #180
Regular Crew

My set up.......

I got mine DVC30 back in September and have not had to many opportunities yet to really use it, but from what I have I like.

OEM Accessories: XLR adapter
Mics: Azden SG1 shotgun, Azden WLX-Pro VHF wireless
Filters: none
Tapes: Panasonic or Maxell
Lights: Whatever is around!
Tripod: Smith-Victor Propod III (modified)
Case: Semi-soft case came with camcorder on special
Misc.: Extra 3 hour battery, Sony earbuds,

Applications: Weddings, events, whatever I can get to do!
Settings: Have not tried to many, but learning

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant