AG-DVC30 various topics - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM   #256
Obstreperous Rex

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=40688 and direct any reply there please -- thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #257
Tourist

High Contrast Video With DVC30

I shot a video of kayaking and was not happy with the video. If I shot in auto it looked under exposed you could not see the peoples faces. If I opened it up for the paddlers, the falls was all washed out. I could not find a happy medium. check it out. your thoughts

http://media.putfile.com/Ohiopyle-Trailer-2007
Bob Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:04 PM   #258
Trustee

Bob,

Most of the clip looked exposed ok except for the parts going over the falls. Maybe just way to much white for the auto exposure to handle. Once they pass the falls the exposure seems to fall back into place. I have a DVC30 but have never had this problem as I never use the auto exposure feature but use manual zebra bars set at 100% for white water. Another suggestion is to use an ND filter. Since the DVC30 dosen't have a built in filter you can use a screw on type. This will allow you more lattitude with your exposure in bright high contrast situations. You can look at some white water shots over on my website for examples.

Last edited by Mark Williams; September 24th, 2007 at 04:30 AM.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #259
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Bob,

Most of the clip looked exposed ok except for the parts going over the falls. Maybe just way to much white for the auto exposure to handle. Once they pass the falls the exposure seems to fall back into place. I have a DVC30 but have never had this problem as I never use the auto exposure feature but use manual zebra bars set at 100% for white water. Another suggestion is to use an ND filter. Since the DVC30 dosen't have a built in filter you can use a screw on type. This will allow you more lattitude with your exposure in bright high contrast situations. You can look at some white water shots over on my website for examples.
I might be wrong but i'm pretty sure that there is a ND filter on the DVC30...you just need to enable the function in the menu (it is not easily accessible as most cameras but still, it is there somewhere).

I agree,...use zebra...you should be fine.
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #260
Trustee

Oops, my bad. There is one but I believe it is automatically engaged and you can't manually turn it off and on. At least I have never found the on/off switch.
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #261
Tourist

Quote:
Bob,

Thanks guys

I used a Hoya ND4 on all of the video around the falls. I always have this on to keep the f stop around f8 or less. I normally have my zebra bars on 80 and when shooting in manual exposed for the paddler, I will play with it the next time at 100. Someone also suggested trying a polarizer which i have. I will be testing all the above next week. I am thinking maybe the contrast range is just too great for the camera. I saw some stills from a high end Nikon 200 and they looked about the same with maybe a little more vibrant colors
Bob Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #262
New Boot

IR lights & using nightshot

i use nightshot a lot +i use a light amplifier now this sounds expencive but in truth i did it on the cheep but its used in the context of the film in question,
night vision with the green hue great for the military look,not good at a wedding.
But..using IR lights.the way you would normal photographic/videographic lighting and swtching the cam to B&W you get a well lit not so grainy image that most clients will be more than happy with.without using visable lighting.
yes the eye problem gives away the fact you used IR but its a small price to pay for shots you would normally loose.
as for wildlife videography its the only way to go, the BBC and Bill Oddie get passable results as do i .
the cams i use are
1 SONY TRV 17E 800k pixel single CCD/NIGHTSHOT
2 PANASONIC VDR D300 3CCD 3.1 M pixel for day
3 SONY HDR UX3E 4 M pixel CMOS /NIGHTSHOT
4 A modified security cam connected to a night owl nightvision with a various sellection of second hand camera lenses from f2 basic wide angle to a 300mm @f5..
as for light and sound well ill post that later all seperated and all home made.
Tony Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #263
Trustee

Take a look at this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...att_Video.html
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM   #264
Tourist

Quote:
the problem with that one is that it requires a hot shoe, which DVC30's don't have. in other words, it doesn't have its own power supply and it runs off of the cameras battery.
Tracy Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #265
Regular Crew

Stripped tripod mount on base

The tripod screw hole is stripped. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? The DVX camera's have 3rd party bases but I can't find a replacement base/tripod mount for the DVC 30.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #266
Regular Crew

Pana DVC-30 for sale?

I have been shooting with the DVC30 for a few years now and love it. Don't have the bucks to move up to HD so I was thinking about picking up a second 30 as a B camera. Anyone out there thinking about selliing?

On a side note what is the opinion of the new Panasonic HMC-40 (I think it is?) looks like a nice possible move up to Hd for poor people like me!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #267
Regular Crew

I have one myself and I love it!

Just saw one on Ebay for US$815 and another at a starting bid of $600.00.
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #268
Trustee

You should put that over here as well:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-classifieds/

The HMC40 is definitely the long awaited successor to the DVC30. It’ll be competing with the JVC HM100. At the mommont I have a slight preference toward the HM100 for a few reasons including pure compatibility with both Windows and Mac and the fact that it records to both NTSC and PAL. I’m sure the HMC40 will have it’s own advantages and it’s too early to give a full comparison and my preference could change. You cant go wrong with either of them and I prefer them over the V1u for many, many reasons.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #269
Inner Circle

If you can find one, a used JVC GY-DV300U can be an incredible bargain for a SD camera. If you were to get one, you would likely wind up using it as your primary camera and the DVC30 as your B cam.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #270
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I have been watching eBay.

The 40 looks nice, but I have heard editing in AVCHD is a pain. I use Avid Liquid and would have to convert it before bringing it into my timeline.

Jeff

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant