DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVx100a vs XL1s Manual Controls (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/22911-dvx100a-vs-xl1s-manual-controls.html)

Mark Grgurev March 14th, 2004 05:23 PM

DVx100a vs XL1s Manual Controls

Which has the most (in camera) manual controls, the Xl1s or the DVX100a?

Peter Jefferson March 15th, 2004 05:16 AM

Being both pro sumer cams, theyre pretty much the same, difference being that the DVX has indelth gamma, lighting and colour settings as opposed the XL, not to mention remote devices/backup units, and incredible data recording (being that your settings for any given recording are also accessable (white balance, focus zoom etc etc)

Imran Zaidi March 15th, 2004 08:23 AM

I have never owned an XL1, but I can tell you that the gamma and general color controls in the DVX100a are really amazing, and can be used in a million different combinations for many unique looks. Doesn't matter if you're going specifically for a 'film look' or not - it really gives you an edge for great looking footage of any type before you even get to post and color correction. I don't know of any other cameras in this price range that give you this much control over image.

But again, I've never owned an XL1 so take that as you wish. I had a GL2 before, but of course, it's not as pro as an XL so naturally wouldn't have all the controls. But having used the XL1 a couple of times, I don't recall there being as much control as the DVX100a.

Stephen van Vuuren March 15th, 2004 09:54 AM

I owned an XL1 with the canon manual lens before I sold it to get the DVX100s. That did give me a fstop ring but you lost display and exposure info in the LCD.

Despite that, the DVX100 series is a better manual cam in my experience. The detailed image controls mentioned plus the focus scale made manual focusing and exposure easier for me than the XL1.

Imran Zaidi March 15th, 2004 10:18 AM

How could I forget the focus scale! It has made my life so much easier to just be able to dial in the appropriate focus stops. Love it.

Tom Hardwick March 15th, 2004 10:45 AM

Yes, just like Super-8 cameras of 30 years ago. Where did we go wrong?

Imran Zaidi March 15th, 2004 11:01 AM

I think where we went wrong is the same place mentioned in an editor's note from, I think, the latest issue of DV mag. Often times the engineers of a product are just that - engineers. Not filmmakers or video or broadcast professionals.

At least that's my guess...

Tom Hardwick March 20th, 2004 09:20 AM

Seems strange to me that 30 years ago Nikon, Canon and Minolta were all producing 10x zoom lenses (just as the DVX100 is today). But years ago those zooms maintained f1.4 throughout the zoom range, not like the DVX that loses a stop and a half as you zoom. Thing is the Super-8 frame is huge in comparison the the 1/3" chip - 5.5mm x 4.2mm. The chip is 4.4mm x 3.3mm. The lenses didn't seem that much bigger all those years ago - my 1014E Canon has a 58mm filter thread.

tom.

Robert Mann Z. March 21st, 2004 09:42 AM

from an xl1 - dvx owner

the xl1 (not s)has great buttons and they are really easy to control,

some nitpicking, while on your shoulder the audio controls are no longer easy to control, the lens loses stops, but worse then the dvx is softer then the lieca glass, no wb memory, but on a positive you full acess to shutter speed, and guess what...your gonna need it because the xl1s nd filter is the worst yet

the dvx (not a) has it's own share of faults, the audio recess dials are not that reccesed (ok fixed with a, but i have yet to try it) the lens although tack sharp, loses speed, what the??? i expec more from lieca on this...no shutter control, unless you happen top have the lcd open and can figure out what button it is (they are all pretty much the same shape) takes some getting use to...

wb is excellent, better then xl1 wb tool...but where i find the dvx to shine is the display controls...for one MAJOR diffrence REC is red, just how it should be, instead of green on the xl1, how many times have i made that mistake, the xl1 was the first camera i have ever used to have a green REC in the display, took some getting use to, also nice to have audio levels where they belong, as most said focus display helps a bit

and of course color rendition, and scene save, very nice, for some this is worth price of admission alone, for me, i'm still working on building a relationship with the color features of the dvx, i think i have ONE scene that i'm happy with, i think...you can tweak yourself to death with this thing, lose sleep not eat, n so forth..

the dvx in general does a great job with manual controls based on its form factor, a lot more then the xl1, no..but better yes