DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Thoughts on getting a look (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/23249-thoughts-getting-look.html)

Josh Bass March 20th, 2004 11:47 AM

Thoughts on getting a look

This question was prompted by another thread I'd posted, but I thought it worthy of its own.

What are some philosophies on getting a look? Playing with the camera at the owner's house, we set up a light outside a window, a simple smith victor halogen, and simulated sunlight, with no other lights on in the house. Then I screwed around with color temp, master ped, and everything else for at least half an hour, and we got some pretty nifty stuff. This leads me to believe that if I wanted, I could set one of the scene files for a look in camera, and then not tweak in post.

However, when it comes to this kind of thing, I'm a commitment-phobe, and usually commit to the lighting with the thought in mind that I'll probably tweak color curves, black levels, etc. in post, rather than throw away information in camera that I can't get back.

So, who recommends what? In post or in camera? I know the benefits of each, so I just want to see if anyone can add anything to the argument for me.

Ken Tanaka March 20th, 2004 12:44 PM

That's a good question, particularly when working with a camera that features a very adjustable image such as the DVX100/A.

My philosophy is to get the best pure image while shooting. Light it well, expose it well. This provdes you with ample "look" opportunities in post.

Of course if you know that there will be little time available for color work in post you may have to apply some camera magic.

Stephen van Vuuren March 20th, 2004 12:48 PM

I think the key word is "philosophy" - every shoot, film and story is different as well as creative style and techniques.

I think the key is understanding the limits of in-camera vs. limits of post processing. i.e. if you blow highlights in camera, you cannot get them back but maybe you don't want them back.

In camera, you can get certain effects (flares, blow-outs, color temp mixes, noise) that are impossible or incredibly time consuming to recreate in post. So as long as you know your limits and don't mind experimenting, testing and just messing around, go nuts in-camera and in post.

After all, it's only $7 a tape.

Peter Jefferson March 21st, 2004 12:39 AM

how about a compromise... 50/50....

i do this quite often...

Ken Tanaka March 21st, 2004 12:59 AM

Side Note

The DVX100's big brother, the SDX900, makes this a more interesting question. The camera offers another menu level of imaging controls that enable you to make some truly remarkable tweaks live. Settings can be saved to, and loaded from, a flash card (as files). So if you invest the time to finely-tune a "look" you can stash it to a card and reapply it at any time, or share it with others.

Incorporation of flash media storage of settings is a feature to look for in future prosumer cameras, particularly the DVX series.