DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Best current price for DVX100A and accesories? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/23382-best-current-price-dvx100a-accesories.html)

Joe Holt March 23rd, 2004 07:17 AM

Best current price for DVX100A and accesories?

Hello all,
I'm hoping to become a new owner of the DVX100A. I've been fired up about this camera ever since I first heard about it. Now I'm in the process of shopping around for the best price. I have a few quick questions...

1. The best price I can find is $3250 from a reputable dealer. Does anyone know of a better deal out there?

2. How about the varizoom for this camera? Does anyone have one and how do you like it?

3. What's the power consumption on this camera like? How many batteries would I need for a full 8 hour day (approx. 4 hours of tape rolling)

4. Panasonics anamorphic adapter vs. Century optics. Is one better than the other?

5. I'm also wanting to get a good camera mounted wireless lav system for this camera. I would rather not spend $3000 for the wireless system. I would like to hear recommendations from anyone who is using a professional quality wireless lav with their DVX100(a). I already have an older samson VHF system with an Audio Technica lav and want to get a UHF system that will take either a Tram TR50 or a countryman B6. I'm tired of "tinny" audio. Any help?

Thanks in advance for your help. This whole forum Rocks!!!! Joe Holt

Barry Green March 23rd, 2004 12:35 PM

Re: Best current price for DVX100A and accesories?

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Holt :
2. How about the varizoom for this camera? Does anyone have one and how do you like it?
--->>

We tested the VariZoom against the Zoe, and came to the conclusion that the Zoe was vastly superior.

<<<--
3. What's the power consumption on this camera like? How many batteries would I need for a full 8 hour day (approx. 4 hours of tape rolling)
--->>
The camera's a bit of a battery hog. If you get a CGR-D54 it'll last for about six hours. You could get two of the DVXUSER.COM 3500-mah batteries, those'd probably get you through the day.

<<--
4. Panasonics anamorphic adapter vs. Century optics. Is one better than the other?
-->>
Century doesn't make one for the DVX. Panasonic's is the only one available.

<<---
5. I'm also wanting to get a good camera mounted wireless lav system for this camera. I would rather not spend $3000 for the wireless system. I would like to hear recommendations from anyone who is using a professional quality wireless lav with their DVX100(a). I already have an older samson VHF system with an Audio Technica lav and want to get a UHF system that will take either a Tram TR50 or a countryman B6. I'm tired of "tinny" audio. Any help?
--->>
Did you mean $3000 or $300? For $3000 you can get a Lectrosonics system, which is the standard in the feature film industry. For $300, well... good luck. The lowest-cost usable systems are around $500, for the Sennheiser Evolution and the Audio Technica 101 series. If you want to use the Tram mic (or the Countryman EMW, which is nearly identical) you'd probably want either the Lectrosonics system or (if your budget is low) the Audio Technica. Either sports a TA5F connector which will let you use those mic's.

Joe Holt March 23rd, 2004 01:02 PM

Thanks Barry for your prompt reply. I'll look into the Zoe zoom controller.
It sounds like I might have to bite the bullet and spend the money on the Lectrosonic. I was hoping to be able to spend around $1000 for the mic and system. You mentioned the Audio Technica 101 series? I did some investigating on that system and it seems to have all of the perks I'm looking for (balanced XLR output, UHF multi frequency and compatability with the Tram and Countryman mics through TA5F connector) have you or anyone else used that system before? Does it give a clean audio signal? It would meet my $1000 budget for mic and system. Thanks again. Joe Holt