dvx-100a filmmaking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 30th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dvx-100a filmmaking

After hours of research, I am most likely going to purchase the dvx-100a over the XL1-S. I am using the camera primarily for narrative filmmaking.

I was just wondering who has used the 100a to make a short or feature film. What are the pro's and con's of using it to shoot a movie? How did it hold up when you finally took it out into the trenches during production? Please tell me your best and worst expieriences.

Thanks
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #2
Trustee

As a quick answer, you might find it inspiring that the film that took this year's Cinematography award at Sundance, "November", was shot on a DVX100.

There are lots of filmmakers on this forum, both part and full time, that use this cam all the time. You will love it! My only complaint that I have about it is that the 'focus assist' in 24p mode is not a true, fast auto-focus. But the focus scale more than makes up for that deficiency.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Deniz,
The DVX100A was built from the ground up for independent filmmaking, especially controlled narrative work. Indeed, it is not especially well-suited for run-and-gun documentary work. Like a film camera, it requires some degree of planning and deliberation to get the best results from its imaging system.

Imran noted Nancy Schreiber's DVX100 work on "November" that recently won laurels at Sundance. That's nothing to sneeze at, since Ms. Schreiber is an accomplished cinematographer and ASC member. (Birns & Sawyer sells an instructional DVD on the DVX100 which features her discussing her use of the camera...it's the high point of the DVD.)

I've been primarily an XL1s and GL2 shooter for some time. I still love, and own, both of those cameras. But I also own a DVX100A (and a DVX100) and plan to use it for my next project.

Go forth in confidence. The camera is up to the challenge and there's little reason for reluctance.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:32 AM   #4
Major Player

For the money there is simply no other choice worth making. This is my opinion ofcourse, but it is correct!
You will get a satisfaction unobtainable anywhere else in this price range from the DVX100. I would DEFINATELY recomment the 100A, as the sqeeze mode alone is worth the extra $. Some of the other aspects of this camera outside of the 24p that are well worth it...
- The awesome audio capabilities
- The awesome manual control and setting possibilities
- The colour qualities
- The lense

I would suggest that if you got any less, you would always be wondering if you would've been happier if you'd have gotten the Panasonic, and theres just no reason to put yourself through that. And I would HIGHLY suggest getting it from Rush at EVS, which is one of DVInfo's sponsers and a great guy. He's a huge help and will make your transaction a very pleasurable and comfortable experience.

And when you get it, just sit down with the manual and plug it in and fire it up and just look through it while tweaking settings for a few hours. You'll be amazed.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What types of accessories would you guys recommend? (adapters, tripod, battery, etc.) I'm looking to buy everything all at once. I want to capture some very wide shots (ex. people on a beach) and extreme close-ups--which adapters would get the job done?

Thanks
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Well since you're taking it on the beach, you definitely want a UV filter for protection and a Polarizing filter to help you work with the colors and contrast of the outdoors.

And of course, if you want Panny batteries, or other accessories, do check out our sponsors:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:39 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Deniz,
Per your note, get a good B+W polarizing filter.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant