DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100A reverts back to interlaced from progressive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/25084-dvx100a-reverts-back-interlaced-progressive.html)

Richard Bernhart April 25th, 2004 01:16 PM

DVX100A reverts back to interlaced from progressive

I have been shooting some footage over the past few weeks, and noticed in post that DVX100A seems to be reverting back to what I beleive is default settings (interlaced) almost automatically. While filming and editing footage, we see 30 progressive (which is the settings we wanted) then all of a sudden interlaced appears.
Not sure if this happens when camera goes into standby mode or when slight adjustments are made to iris or shutter. Will make an adjustment here or there due to lighting. I have been pressing mode check button in between takes to verify we are still in 30 progressive mode, and noticed that it defaults back to standard settings or interlaced periodically. It can be corrected by setting back to 30 progressive. However, is there a way to lock in the settings we need? Does the DVX100A adjust from progressive to interlaced automatically based on lighting? Do slight adjustments to iris or shutter cause a change between interlaced and progressive mode? When the DVX100A goes into standby mode or shuts itself off, does it retain manual settings made by the user or is there a way to lock the desired settings into the camera?

Could not isolate a cause of this mysterious settings change on my own. Any ideas?

Dan Lahav April 25th, 2004 02:43 PM

The DVX does not capture 30P, only 24P, 24PA, 30i or 60i. If you want to de-interlace your 30i footage, you need a program such as magic bullet to do this

Barry Green April 25th, 2004 03:05 PM

Completely incorrect, the DVX shoots 30P.

I have never encountered what you're experiencing (about the camera "losing" its settings). If the battery were removed, perhaps the menu settings would be restored to default... Perhaps you want to save your settings in one of the scene files so that it will always be the 30P setting you like.

Ken Tanaka April 25th, 2004 03:16 PM

Indeed, it does shoot 30P.

I share Barry's guess. Remember that if you do not save a change made to a scene file setting, the change may be lost when you power-down the camera or change the battery. Be sure to use the "Save" selection on the scene file menu. You can always use the "Init" on that menu to restore the factory default settings for that scene file.

Dan Lahav April 25th, 2004 03:22 PM

oh crap! These guru's are correct, and I am wrong. learn something new every day :)

sorry about the misinformation!

Jon Fordham April 25th, 2004 10:25 PM

I know this isn't what the post was about and I don't mean to sound like a snobby prick but...

Why do so many people continue to use the notation "30i"? This is incorrect and completely made up. The "i" notation is in regards to the "interlaced" fields. When using the "i" notation you should refer to the field rate, not the frame rate. Thus standard NTSC video should be correctly referred to as 60i. And of course, the "P" notation is in reference to the "Progressive" Scan frame rate. Thus any progressive frame rate (regardless of the standard) should be correctly referred to as 30P (or 24P, 25P, etc.).

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a snob. Just trying to inform and correct improperly noted information.

Barry Green April 26th, 2004 08:54 AM

I'm with you, John. All major camera manufacturers use the 60i and 50i terminology as well.

The only faction I know of that clings to "30i" are Avid users. Avid's software names its templates "30i" and such. It just adds confusion, and it'd be nice if the world would agree on standardized terminology.

"30i" and "30p" sound way too similar, but the looks are anything but similar. "30p" and "60i" sound about as different as they look.

Jon Fordham April 26th, 2004 12:09 PM

Barry,

I'm not very involved with post except for the occasional supervision of digital color correction of something I shot.

Do all Avid's use that incorrect designation? Or just the prosumer software versions? I'd be surprised to learn that Avid's professional systems use such templates.

Scott Plowman April 26th, 2004 02:27 PM

I have one of those DVX100A that did include the 30p feature.. Unlike the other ones that Dan has... lol ; )

Peter Moore April 26th, 2004 03:33 PM

Richard,

I noticed this too first time I worked with these cameras. Damn I wish I could remember the exact menu settings we used to fix this, but it had to do with standby mode.

Is the camera shutting off and then restarting in the wrong mode, or is it spontaneously switching? The former as I recall is what was wrong in our case.

Barry Green April 26th, 2004 05:04 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jon Fordham : Do all Avid's use that incorrect designation? Or just the prosumer software versions? I'd be surprised to learn that Avid's professional systems use such templates. -->>>

Well, now, that's a good question, and I don't know the answer. I know on FreeDV and XPressDV they have "NTSC 30i" listed.

It kind of cheeses me off anyway when people talk about video as being "29.97 frames per second" or PAL as "25 frames per second". Those aren't frames, they're field-pairs. Each field is captured individually, discretely. They're only lumped together as a pair in editing because... well, I guess because the odd/even line syndrome would have driven people crazy. But PAL isn't 25 frames per second, it's 50 fields per second. And NTSC isn't 29.97 or 30 frames per second, it's 59.94 fields per second (or, rounded off, "60i"). Back before there was progressive-scan I guess this terminology didn't hurt anything, but now that pro-scan exists, it seems like it would clarify things if we were all a little more accurate with our terminology.