Anamorphic plus Adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 26th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adapters

If you use the anamorphic adapter on the DVX100A can you still use a telephoto or a wideangle adapter???
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

No.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmm ??

So if I am shooting 16:9 with the anamorphic lens than I cant use any other lense ?? So if I want to shoot wideangle or telephoto I have to shoot 4:3 ? How I will edit the 16:9 and the 4:3 together?
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You can edit a mix of 4x3 and 16x9 clips by either pillar-boxing your 4x3 footage in a 16x9 project or by letter-boxing your 16x9 footage in a 4x3 project. Your NLE may or may not do this automatically if your pixel aspect ratio is correct upon capture or after interpretation.

Most viewers (in the US) are accustomed to letter-boxing in 4x3 footage. Pillar boxing is rare, that I have seen. But if you are going to letterbox your 16x9 footage, there is little point in using the anamorphic adapter, in my opinion. I have a significant amount of experience using the anamorphic lenses and they are not for the feint of heart. These lenses add a good amount of front weight to the camera which causes an imbalance. You cannot use AF with them. You cannot zoom through full telephoto and achieve focus.

So if you are going to mix footage, think twice about using the anamorphic lens in the first place unless you are willing to live with pillar-boxing.

Another suggestion for your wide shots is simply using the in-camera letter-boxing and import your clips as widescreen and lop off the letter-boxing by zooming in on the vertical resolution. You won't have full resolution, but it might be better than pillar-boxing or losing resolution by letter-boxing your anamorphic shots.

The other thing to note is that the anamorphic lenses are already wide. I cannot remember if I tested this or not, so I might be mistaken, but my recollection is that the field of view for the anamorphic lenses is wider than the regular lens. Someone else might know for sure on that point though...
Mike Morrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

The anamorphic adapter gives you a significantly wider field of view. It acts like a .67x wide-angle adapter (but on the horizontal only).
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the replies..so if I buy the anamorphic adapter I will not need the wideangle...and I think is a better choice to have the anamorphic for 16:9 not to lose resolution.
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant