Combining CG with DVX100 footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 29th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Combining CG with DVX100 footage?

Hey guys, Im the new guy around here and I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, eh :). I'm planning to shoot a movie in the second week of June, so I've narrowed my choices down to either the XL1 or the DVX100, but since I can rent them for the same price I've chosen the DVX100. Now, I've been teaching myself how to use 3D software (like Lightwave) and I'd like to be able to match my CG with the DVX100s footage. The only problem I foresee is this Cinema Gamma that Ive been hearing about. Is there a way to set it to a normal setting so that when the time comes I can simply match my CG with the same lighting I had when I "filmed"? I'm pretty sure there is a normal setting, but I'd like to make sure just in case. Also, since I like the look of Cinema Gamma would there be a way for me to apply that in post (I use Premiere Pro and After Effects), so that after I've matched the CG I could have the Cinema Gamma look? Hey I just realized one more thing. I'm using Premiere Pro and I havent heard of anyone with a DVX100 using Premiere. Would it still be able to edit the 24P advanced? Sorry if Im bogging you guys with all these questions, but I'm new to the camera and I gotta learn everything before I rent it (unless they provide a manual :). Gotta make sure my bases are covered :) , thanks for any help!
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Cine-gamma is actually one of the many modes the DVX100 supports, so you certainly don't have to use it. And any NLE will let you adjust the gamma of your CG generated footage to help it match - you'll likely want to do this manually but you will have little difficulty, I think, matching it.

Vegas is the only NLE I know of that supports 24pA mode.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Peter, do you know of any web sites I could check out that talk about adjusting the Gamma? I've been saving up some cash so maybe Ill look into getting Vegas. Thanks again :)
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Trustee

Web sites about adjusting the gamma on the camera? The manual pretty much covers it, I think. Also at the top of the forum here there's some great links about the camera controls. As far as adjusting the gamma in an NLE, I don't know of any cites but usually it's best to experiment, I think, or use the presets.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks again Peter, I think that After effects might be able to adjust gamma if not Premiere, as it has a lot of changeable perimeters.

Edit: Hey good news, I just found the perfect turorial for this and it was on DVInfo.net the whole time. Here it is for anyone interested http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/filmlook/broadway2.php

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant