DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   vignetting with .6x century wide angle and cavision 4x4 bellow style matte box (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/26033-vignetting-6x-century-wide-angle-cavision-4x4-bellow-style-matte-box.html)

Josh Bass May 15th, 2004 10:39 AM

vignetting with .6x century wide angle and cavision 4x4 bellow style matte box

For a project I'm working on, I ordered a cavision 4x4 bellows style matte box, based on the guarantee from cavision themselves that I wouldn't get any vignetting even while using the century .6x wide angle adapter zoomed all the way out. Looking at some footage on a monitor, I noticed that I could see something on the left side of the frame, from top to bottom. I don't see how I could have the box set up wrong, as none of the rings other than one I used are big enough for me to slip the adapter through. I even tried pulling out both filter trays, and it' still there. Anyone know what's going on?

Rich Lee May 16th, 2004 11:40 AM

Hey Josh, i have that matte box as well from when i had an xl1s & 3x, which it worked great on. i just got the dvx and .6 and am waiting for the parts to come in too fit the matte box to that setup. Once they arrive (hopefully monday) i will let you know if i have the same issues. personaly, i think its going to be a tight fit. but we shall see.

Dale Anthony Smith May 17th, 2004 02:02 AM

The guys at Century told me that there is nothing that you can put in front of the .6 to even hold the filter.... they said that you need to tape a filter to the front of the lens adapter.

I bought the .6 for the DVX-100 and love it. I use a flex arm to hold a flag where I need it.

The one problem I have noticed is that the viewfinder is not 100% accurate. I mean I shoot things out of frame in the viewfinder and then I see them in the edit system overscan monitors.

Josh Bass May 17th, 2004 06:27 PM

You sure? I saw stuff regarding the 3x3, but couldn't find anything about the 4x4.

So you guys are saying that NO matte box will work in front of the .6x century wide angle adapter with the DVX100? Not even a 6x6 or something?

Barry Green May 17th, 2004 08:29 PM

Century says the Birns & Sawyer Image 2000 will fit, and supposedly not vignette.

Jeff Donald May 17th, 2004 08:46 PM

I have a Birns & Sawyer Image 2000 for sale if anyone is interested.

Josh Bass May 19th, 2004 04:00 AM

Yeah, we called ZGC, and they told us the Image 2000 WOULD vignette.

Barry Green May 19th, 2004 02:06 PM

Ah. Well. Never mind, then!

Century said that the Image 2000 would fit, but I guess physical attachment doesn't necessarily imply freedom from vignetting.

Josh Bass May 19th, 2004 03:16 PM

Yeah. . .well, we're currently busy arguing from Jason with Cavision about it at the moment. By the way, how DOES one go about taping a filter to the adapter? Seems like a good way to break some expensive glass, or at the least gunk up your expensive glass with tape glue.