vignetting with .6x century wide angle and cavision 4x4 bellow style matte box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 15th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

vignetting with .6x century wide angle and cavision 4x4 bellow style matte box

For a project I'm working on, I ordered a cavision 4x4 bellows style matte box, based on the guarantee from cavision themselves that I wouldn't get any vignetting even while using the century .6x wide angle adapter zoomed all the way out. Looking at some footage on a monitor, I noticed that I could see something on the left side of the frame, from top to bottom. I don't see how I could have the box set up wrong, as none of the rings other than one I used are big enough for me to slip the adapter through. I even tried pulling out both filter trays, and it' still there. Anyone know what's going on?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Josh, i have that matte box as well from when i had an xl1s & 3x, which it worked great on. i just got the dvx and .6 and am waiting for the parts to come in too fit the matte box to that setup. Once they arrive (hopefully monday) i will let you know if i have the same issues. personaly, i think its going to be a tight fit. but we shall see.

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The guys at Century told me that there is nothing that you can put in front of the .6 to even hold the filter.... they said that you need to tape a filter to the front of the lens adapter.

I bought the .6 for the DVX-100 and love it. I use a flex arm to hold a flag where I need it.

The one problem I have noticed is that the viewfinder is not 100% accurate. I mean I shoot things out of frame in the viewfinder and then I see them in the edit system overscan monitors.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

You sure? I saw stuff regarding the 3x3, but couldn't find anything about the 4x4.

So you guys are saying that NO matte box will work in front of the .6x century wide angle adapter with the DVX100? Not even a 6x6 or something?
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Century says the Birns & Sawyer Image 2000 will fit, and supposedly not vignette.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Warden

I have a Birns & Sawyer Image 2000 for sale if anyone is interested.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

Yeah, we called ZGC, and they told us the Image 2000 WOULD vignette.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

Ah. Well. Never mind, then!

Century said that the Image 2000 would fit, but I guess physical attachment doesn't necessarily imply freedom from vignetting.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

Yeah. . .well, we're currently busy arguing from Jason with Cavision about it at the moment. By the way, how DOES one go about taping a filter to the adapter? Seems like a good way to break some expensive glass, or at the least gunk up your expensive glass with tape glue.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant