DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100a and Slow Motion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/26045-dvx100a-slow-motion.html)

Carlos Leon May 15th, 2004 06:53 PM

DVX100a and Slow Motion

Does anyone know if you can put motion effects to dvx100a footage shot in 24p. I've heard different things about "jumpy imagery" when you slow down 24p footage in post. I will be shooting wedding and love story type video montages and I wanna have both the film-like quality of 24p and to be able to add dramatic slow motion to sequences. Anyone if this is possible?

Ken Tanaka May 15th, 2004 10:30 PM

Yes, you certainly can do this. I recommend experimenting a bit with it before you're pressed to a deadline.

Alexey Ravichev May 16th, 2004 10:39 AM

shoot 30p?

I've never done it myself yet, but I think just shooting 30p and interpreting it as 24p would slow things down a bit (probably won't be dramatic though :)), but you'll still have more fps before you start interpolating in post. Not sure I am right, but theoretically does seem so.

Josh Brusin May 16th, 2004 11:17 AM

use twixtor or somehting similar... otherwise it has a video stutter...

Rich Lee May 16th, 2004 11:53 AM

definitely use something like twixtor for this. also, shoot 30p if u know u want the image slowed down. shooting 30p gives you the most possible whole frames you can get which will be very helpful to the software when trying to interpret new frames, the more whole uninterpreted frames the better the results. also, u could try shooting in 60i, then us RE:FieldsKit to take every field and fill in the gaps to create a whole frame, while this has some subtle jagginess to highlight areas, it does give you almost perfect 60p motion. its very cool! if u can deal with a little bit of resolution loss.

Josh Brusin May 16th, 2004 11:55 AM

I would suggest 60i... I think it seems to give a program like twixtor more origin material for directional tweening...

Harish Kumar May 17th, 2004 07:45 AM

Hi

I jave done lot of slo mo in 24p ...seems to work fine on a matrox digisuite card at mjpeg 720 x 486 on premiere 6.5

thanks

Mark Monciardini May 17th, 2004 11:55 AM

I used to do weddings.

I wouldn't recommend using 24p mode for weddings. You'll be very disappointed with the Slo-mo.

I would use Scene Spark (high-detail. 60i). The slo-mo is super smooth.

I too, thought it would be cool to shoot 24p for wedding, but you have to manual focus all the time and you also run into low light problems.

If it's too late. Try applying a flicker removel filter to your slow-mo 24p footage.

Guest May 18th, 2004 03:43 PM

newbie asks

Just for the newbies - why not just slow down the clip in FCP or such - does that exaccerbate the jumpiness of 24p or something?