DVX100a and Slow Motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 15th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100a and Slow Motion

Does anyone know if you can put motion effects to dvx100a footage shot in 24p. I've heard different things about "jumpy imagery" when you slow down 24p footage in post. I will be shooting wedding and love story type video montages and I wanna have both the film-like quality of 24p and to be able to add dramatic slow motion to sequences. Anyone if this is possible?
Carlos Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, you certainly can do this. I recommend experimenting a bit with it before you're pressed to a deadline.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

shoot 30p?

I've never done it myself yet, but I think just shooting 30p and interpreting it as 24p would slow things down a bit (probably won't be dramatic though :)), but you'll still have more fps before you start interpolating in post. Not sure I am right, but theoretically does seem so.
Alexey Ravichev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #4
Major Player

use twixtor or somehting similar... otherwise it has a video stutter...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

definitely use something like twixtor for this. also, shoot 30p if u know u want the image slowed down. shooting 30p gives you the most possible whole frames you can get which will be very helpful to the software when trying to interpret new frames, the more whole uninterpreted frames the better the results. also, u could try shooting in 60i, then us RE:FieldsKit to take every field and fill in the gaps to create a whole frame, while this has some subtle jagginess to highlight areas, it does give you almost perfect 60p motion. its very cool! if u can deal with a little bit of resolution loss.

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #6
Major Player

I would suggest 60i... I think it seems to give a program like twixtor more origin material for directional tweening...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi

I jave done lot of slo mo in 24p ...seems to work fine on a matrox digisuite card at mjpeg 720 x 486 on premiere 6.5

thanks
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I used to do weddings.

I wouldn't recommend using 24p mode for weddings. You'll be very disappointed with the Slo-mo.

I would use Scene Spark (high-detail. 60i). The slo-mo is super smooth.

I too, thought it would be cool to shoot 24p for wedding, but you have to manual focus all the time and you also run into low light problems.

If it's too late. Try applying a flicker removel filter to your slow-mo 24p footage.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #9

newbie asks

Just for the newbies - why not just slow down the clip in FCP or such - does that exaccerbate the jumpiness of 24p or something?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant