Where is the ALC switch on dvx100/dvc80? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Where is the ALC switch on dvx100/dvc80?

Stupid question, I know, but I've looked all over the camera and read the manual and can't find where I can turn the ALC on or off. The sales specs said there was a switch, but darned if I can't find it.

Thanks,

Steve.
Steve D. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #2
Major Player

S'funny, this just came up over at the "other" site's forum. I do believe it was the first I had heard about ALC in the DVC80. The manual does not mention ALC or Automatic Level Control. So I downloaded the brochure .pdf this morning and there it was, one little sentence that mentions ALC.

Double-checking the DVX100 manual this morning, I saw that it does mention ALC, including how to turn it on and off. There are no similar controls on the DVC80 that I can find.

Which has raised two important questions for me, as well: 1) What's up with ALC in the DVC80? and 2) Are the DVC80 and DVX100 as similar in audio tech and specs as everyone seems to assume (myself included)?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

There's no switch, there's a menu setting. I think it's under "recording setup."
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #4
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by John Britt : Which has raised two important questions for me, as well: 1) What's up with ALC in the DVC80? and 2) Are the DVC80 and DVX100 as similar in audio tech and specs as everyone seems to assume (myself included)? -->>>

ALC = auto/audio level control? I thought there was none in this camera.

The DVC80 is a 60i only verison of the DVX100. Everything else is the same.
Aaron Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Barry --

Steve has a DVC80. There is no such control for ALC in any menu setting that I can find, nor is it mentioned in the manual. What you said is correct for the DVX100. I'm assuming that Steve is thinking the same as I was, that the DVC80 and DVX100 have the same audio setup. It appears that perhaps they don't...

Aaron --

As I wrote in my post above (which you quoted), ALC is not mentioned in the DVC80 manual, but is mentioned in the DVC80 brochure, hence the confusion. Google "DVC80 Brochure" to find the .pdf I'm talking about.

Based on the manuals for the DVC80 and DVX100, specifically in this case the reference to ALC, there obviously is a question whether or not "Everything is the same." Go to panasonic.com and compare the DVC80 and DVX100 manuals -- at the very least there is some discrepency re: automatic level control.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hmm, this is odd. I like the way the audio sounds on what I've done so far, but I'm about to embark on a major project and I want to be sure I'm doing things right. Dialogue, boomed properly seems to be sounding good at the levels I've been using, but people say to be sure to keep the ALC on so that if an actor improves some yelling, I won't have "clipping." I want to be sure I have the ALC on (which may be built in, as I've tried to get distortion by yelling into my me66 without success). Maybe you can't turn it off...which would be odd for this camera. There is a menu setting with 3 options for auto audio, but that appears to apply only to programing the "auto" button.

Steve.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #7
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by John Britt : Based on the manuals for the DVC80 and DVX100, specifically in this case the reference to ALC, there obviously is a question whether or not "Everything is the same." Go to panasonic.com and compare the DVC80 and DVX100 manuals -- at the very least there is some discrepency re: automatic level control. -->>>

Maybe we have discovered something new!?

In all the DVC80 threads I have read, nobody has ever mentioned ALC before. Hmm...
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #8
Contributor

Funny, I researched the same subject a few weeks ago after getting the 80. I found one review comparing the 100 vs 80, were it was said that the 80 has a full time ALC (can not disable)
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #9
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Dolgin : Funny, I researched the same subject a few weeks ago after getting the 80. I found one review comparing the 100 vs 80, were it was said that the 80 has a full time ALC (can not disable) -->>>

If you could find the link to that review, please post it. Id like to take a look.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #10
Contributor

Aaron, I spent this past hour trying to locate it. It was a review by Mitch Ives of www.insightproductions.com (in Arizona)
I just can not remember where it was posted. He is a very knowledgeble guy, the review was substantial. It was in a table format, with each camera having its features noted. May be you can try to Google it, or email him directly, and if you find it, post it here...
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #11
Major Player

Just in case anyone reading may not know the difference... the ALC in the DVX is essentially a limiter... it is NOT AGC which adjusts the GAIN in most other DV cameras.

What this means in practical terms is that you won't have hiss during silence and you don't need to do the old... "3...2...1... Today in our local news...." which used to be done to set the AGC for the speaking environment.

CLICK HERE and read on page 4 of the Panny brochure, under the heading "Large Audio Dials and Flexible Input Selection", and you'll see it describes the same feature that's selectable on the DVX.

With a DVX push "menu" then move down to selection 5. Recording Setup... click that and the third option down is ALC on/off...

So the DVC80 doesn't have that?
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Matt,

I'm sitting w/my dvc80 and when I bring up the menu as you describe, instead of the 3rd option being ALC on/off, it is Mic Gain1 (followed by Mic Gain2). The Recording Setup screen goes Rec Speed, Audio Rec, Mic Gain1, Mic Gain2, TCG, First Rec TC, TC Preset, UB Mode, and UB Preset. No ALC option.

Steve.
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #13
Major Player

Bummer... well thanks for enlightening me. I guess the 80 isn't identical to the 100 (minus 24p and 30p)... If you click the link I posted it seems as though it woulda' been the same. Sorry for the mistake.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant