blue fringe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

blue fringe

What is this blue fringe that i see in these images? i have seen it in several other setups as well. really worried about this, i shot with the dvx100a, 30p. i had an xl1s before and have shot with it in very similer setups and never got this...anyone else seen this before?

http://www.rich-lee.com/wtf.htm

i didnt put arrows on all the parts that had it.

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

ive had that too.. :(

not that noticable on TV, but on PC its very noticable
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Looks like you have the detail setting cranked up too high, which is creating edge enhancement in a lot of the shots. And then you probably have cinegamma on, and when cinegamma overexposes, you get ugly artifacting. Most of your shots have serious overexposure in them. You are not allowed to overexpose with cinegamma, there's no knee or overexposure protection, it blows out rather ugly. You need to take precise care with your shots when shooting with cinegamma.

Try it again, turning detail down, and either turn cinegamma off, or keep your exposure balanced so there's no overexposure (use the zebras on 100% to make sure nothing is "blowing out"). The result should be much cleaner.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

ok, i would do some tests and see what the deal is, for now i can just remove the blue in after effects. bummer, i like to over expose, oh well. i wil take a look.

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #5
Warden

This will explain some of your issues as well.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Is there an english version for that site? :)
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #7
Warden

No, but here is an actual picture that shows an exaggerated view of what's going on.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

that never happined with my canon, whats the deal? is it a chip thing? does it have something to do with the panasonic camera being able to cut down on the amount of flare that can happin? i wonder if whatever process aids in flare reduction is causing this artifacting....i am looking at some stuff now that has a light in it, and along the edge of the light is this thick blue line...anyway, still havnt giving it a shot without the new settings.

Old May 28th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

"that never happined with my canon, whats the deal"

Well, your Canon never had cinegamma. Turn CG off if you want to blow stuff out. Barry explained it well.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

wow, i sound like a fool. sorry for the redundent post...i just came off 8 consequtive 15 hour days, and i havnt fully recuperated, Thanks Barry for the explaination.

Old May 28th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #11
Warden

Birefringence is present in all optical systems. The the spacing of the pixels, choice of photo site lens (micro lens over each pixel), electronic signal processing (cinema gamma) and various factors in the lens system may exacerbate the condition.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant