DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   what do you guys think of SAFERSEAS.com (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/26979-what-do-you-guys-think-saferseas-com.html)

Matthew Etchells June 3rd, 2004 07:20 AM

what do you guys think of SAFERSEAS.com

this company supplies pro accessories for the dvx100.
has anybody had any expirience with the products (they seem expensive)
i maybe looking at the anamorphic kit (kit#3)
what do u guys think?

Stephen Schleicher June 3rd, 2004 08:12 AM

If you get a quote from them, make sure they are quoting you everything you listed for them. I few years ago when I was purchasing my camera and gear I sent a very extensive list to them detailing everything I wanted priced. They gave me a quote that was a great deal, and when it came time to buy the price jumped because they didn't quote me all the gear I had listed. Needless to say I purchased all my gear from other sources.

A year later I purchased a hard case for my PD-150 from them without a problem.

Cheers

Matthew Etchells June 3rd, 2004 09:08 AM

thanks for your reply & help, would you say their prices are reasonable or expensive?

Randy Reyes June 3rd, 2004 09:14 AM

Great, quality product from Safer Seas, but their customer service really sucks as well as the packaging for their products. I ordered an Sennheiser ME-66 shotgun mic package a year ago and they shipped it in this large box, with no airbags or styrofoam, with all the components in their own little boxes. I don't know about you but for $400 I really would like my things to be cared for especially when they're being shipped!

Also you have to call them to really make sure they have the product you want since apparently what's advertised in some places like eBay (which is where I purchased from), isn't always the truth. It's eBay for goodness sakes, shouldn't you sell something you have?? I waited a month longer for my shotgun mic to arrive.

Even contacting them by phone can be a hassle since there is no one attending the phone. I tried like 5 times to talk to a real person trying to ask about my product but they let you leave a message that they won't even bother to return. Thanks a lot Safer Seas!! :[

To put a long story short. You get better service elsewhere in places like B&H photo-video. Hope this helps.

Boyd Ostroff June 3rd, 2004 09:35 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Randy Reyes : You get better service elsewhere in places like B&H photo-video. -->>>

...and you will also have the satisfaction of knowing that you're patronizing one of DVinfo's sponsors! :-)

Ransom Tyer June 9th, 2004 02:56 PM

I bought an AT mic from those guys. The price was good but the price on the web page is a cash or wire transfer price. CC was a few % more. I opted for the wire transfer to save a few bucks.

That's the good news. After the order was placed I didn't hear anything from them. The worse customer service I've had anywhere, anytime. I've bought tons of stuff online and they were the worst in my experience. There probably is worse but I've just never seen it.

Long story short I kept calling (Probably 25 times) until I got the unit shipped. Nobody answered 95% of time and they didn't return messages. Rx'd no emails except a price quote before I bought.

Steve Rogers June 17th, 2004 11:25 PM

I have seen quite a few horror stories from people who have dealt with Safer Seas.

Your best bet is to buy elsewhere. It takes them forever to respond to anything, and weeks to get your orders.

Not worth it.

Scott Silverman June 18th, 2004 03:43 AM

I tried to buy from them a while ago. To make a long story short they quoted me a wrong price for a ME66 (which was too low) so of course I jumped at the offer. Later on the lady at SaferSeas told me she messed up. Cost me lots of money and time -- a bad experience.

I would stay away from them. I did however just order from Zotz Digital (http://www.zotzdigital.com) and am very very pleased with the products/service.

Rush Hamden June 24th, 2004 04:36 PM

Hey guys, just to let you know, we just bought over a hundred kits of the ME66/K6KIT combos with the case and clip, instock for $409.95. These are special items, different from the ME66K6 standard packages. DVinfo discount is in effect as well. Please email me at rush@evsonline.com for your final price.

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ME66K6KIT

PS: We package our products very well : ))

Adam Reilly July 4th, 2004 10:10 PM

STAY AWAY FROM SAFERSEAS

Ordering from SaferSeas is a nightmare! First the salesman tried to sneak a $150 PayPal fee into my quoted price. But I was told by someone else at SaferSeas that they don't charge a fee. Finally he agreed to sell it to me without the fee and then started being distant and avoiding me after I made the purchase.

He immediately said there would be a 2 week backorder on the Panasonic AG-DVX100A. I didn't believe him but had to wait anyway. After waiting 2 weeks he didn't reply to me and finally I contacted the manager directly.

The manager told me that there was a shortage of these cameras nationwide amd that everyone else was waiting too. He seemed sincere about this.

5 weeks later, still no camera, and the salesman is continuing to give me delay stories. "Oh sorry I was out of the office this week." Bla bla bla. Apparently there is STILL a delay nationwide.

I have filed a complaint through PayPal to get a refund, and will file with BBB soon.

Horrible. What a bunch of ripoff artists. I think I was given the cold shoulder just because they didn't like the way I paid them - which is the exact amount they put on the invoice!

David Bonyun July 29th, 2004 02:17 PM

Do NOT use SaferSeas

Do not use SaferSeas. I ordered $15000 worth of equipment from them in December. Before placing my order, I confirmed by phone and in writing that they had all the equipment I requested. (and Eye of the Storm and Sister Kahuna package)

It took three months to get all the equipment I ordered. I logged over 80 phone calls with their sales people and the owner. They changed out equipment without my permission, telling me it would work be just as good. and the computer they sent me did not work. I sent it back at my own expense and they still couldn't fix it. (I asked for my money back and was refused.)

It was not until I reported them to the BBB and the Secretary of State of California that I got the last of my equipment.

The equipment I have is now working. THe computer needed a new RAM chip. However, they took my money and lied to me. Before you spend a penny with these guys look them up at the Golden Gate BBB web site where they are rated "unsatisfactory"
http://www.oakland.bbb.org

If you do buy, know you were warned.

Scott Sheppard July 30th, 2004 04:26 AM

I have used these guys and have had nouthing but GREAT service ... :-)

Ransom Tyer August 2nd, 2004 08:34 AM

Your from the San Fran area like safer seas is. Maybe that's why you had good service because they know you might stop by.

IMO they were very bad to deal with and many other people have had similiar or worse experiences.

Adam Reilly August 7th, 2004 08:38 PM

Yeah I reported them to BBB as well. I ended up waiting 6 weeks on the shipment and they opted to give me a refund instead of the item.

They're just not honest. Once they get your money they're done with you. If there is a delay in something they lie and try to hide it. Totally misleading to get you off their back and then they leave you in the dark for weeks at a time.

But I'm sure they're nice people. They're probably just video artists who would rather not deal with customers, and have had no formal training in customer service or business communication.

I was able to get my camera from another Panasonic dealer and had a 100% perfect transaction! (www.videotexsystems.com)