AG-DVC30 vs GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 9th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #1
New Boot

AG-DVC30 vs GL2

I am looking to by a prosumer camera and I am having trouble deciding betwen the Panasonic AG-DVC30 and the Canon GL2. I've read good stuff about both. Has anyone used both of them and could recommend which one to get? Thanks.
Mike Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

when it comes to spec and features, wide angle lense, configuration settings, resoluition, as well as xlr input, the dvc30 would win hands down IMO on SPEC ALONE

I havent used the camera so im just goin by numbers
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:19 AM   #3
Tourist

Mike,
I just had to make the same decision. I decided on the DVC30 based on the ruggedness of the chassis, as well as it having slightly better features than the GL2 as the previous poster pointed out. My DVC30 will arrive tomorrow, so I don't have any details yet.

The biggest factor that turned me away from the GL2 was the numerous reports of tape transport mechanism/EJECT message problems. I just couldn't take that kind of risk on a $1900 camera. That still bothers me, because I love Canon's film and digital cameras (I own one of each).

Hope this helps.
Eric Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Mike,

I have had the DVC30 for about a week now and I really like it. I also own a GL-1, have never owned a GL-2 but have used one a few times. As for construction quality, hands down the DVC30 is far more rugged. The DVC30 zoom control is also superior. Low light as least to me is a little better on the DVC30. As far a long-term dependability...no one knows yet.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike,
I had 2 GL-2's in as many weeks (defective viewfinders) and while I did get to use it I hated the ease with which it recorded handling noise (attributed to the plastic case). Also the viewfinder was useless and I found the LCD awkward (I'm comming from 35mm SLR still photo).

I returned the GL-2 in hopes of getting a DVC-80, then heard about the DVC-30 and decided to wait. Now I'm waiting to get my eyes and hands on one before I commit, but I think this is the cam for me.

I like the 16x zoom. I would like a little wider field but I'll compensate. I like the modularity of the cam. Most importantly I like the size and construction! I found the GL-2 to be toyish in feel and bulky in size... The DVC30 is smaller and more solid...

Get your hands around both before you buy. At least buy from a reputable dealer that has some satisfaction policy (B&H) so you can return is necessary.
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #6
Trustee

Joe,

I think the DVC30 is a definite step up from the GL2. Image quality is about the same in my opinion but construtcion and feature wise I believe the DVC30 is far superior to the GL2. I don't know any cam shops in Atlanta that have it yet so it might be difficult to lay your hands on one. I bought mine from a company that had a liberal return policy. The most I would have been out was the return shipping. Having it for a week and learning its feature I feel I made a great purchase. Many speculated that the DVC30 was a poor subsitute for the phased out DVC80. In some cases this may be true. But if you need a 16x lens, great zoom and very solid construction then the DVC30 is a great cam.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I know you said you had good low light with the cam Mark but you compared it to a GL1 .. Can anyone compare it to any other 3 chip prosumer cams for low light? eg. pd150, dvx, DVC, xL1....
Scott Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Can anyone compare it to any other 3 chip prosumer cams for low light?

It's been reported in sevaral places across this forum that the DVX100 is 3 LUX at +18db gain while the smaller-chipped DVC30 is 4 LUX at +18db gain (ignoring the IR night shot stuff).

When I was playing with the DVC80 and GL2, they had ample low light for my needs and I figure the DVC30 should do well for me. (In fact I found the genearally unacceptable PDX-10 to be satisfactory though about my limit.)
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant