Anamorphic doesn't transfer as anamorphic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM   #1
Tourist

Anamorphic doesn't transfer as anamorphic

I bought Barry Green's very infomative booklet on how to use the anamorphic lens. Everything went well until I transferred it into Vegas. I shot some footage in standard 4:3 aspect ratio using the lens but when I transferred it to Vegas it came out 4:3 squished into everything looking tall. When I changed the properties to NTSC widscreen the box became widescreen but with black bars on either side and the squished video 4:3 still in the center. What am I doing wrong?
Val Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

You have to make sure that the video matches how it was shot and that the project is consistent as well.

Make sure you're using the NTSC widescreen project preset.

Then, for each clip, you have to change the aspect ratio on the clip to be NTSC widescreen. There's no way for the camera to know you shot with the anamorphic adapter, so it can't flag the footage to be widescreen... so you have to do it manually.

After that, your footage should fill the widescreen frame with no black bars anywhere.

I'd suspect you didn't have the NTSC Widescreen project as your project, it sounds like you had a normal NTSC project.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Tourist

distorted

Thank you for your reply. I did change the properties to widescreen but finally figured out that I had to click the "maintain aspect ratio" in the preferences box. But now I am wondering why the video is so distorted. It is not like that is squeeze mode. Here is a frame http://www.valriolo.com/Image0.jpg

Thanks for your help
Val Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:59 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

You're seeing "barrel distortion", which is a result of putting a wide-angle adapter on top of a wide-angle lens. The anamorphic adapter acts like a .67 wide-angle converter in the horizontal direction. The stock DVX lens has a little bit of barrel distortion, and that gets magnified by using the anamorphic (or any other wide-angle lens).

Look at this page:
http://icexpo.com/dvx100/century.html

You'll see that on the upper-left picture, which is nothing but the DVX's stock lens, you can still see some barrel distortion.

Only way to avoid it is to zoom in a little.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant