DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Some DVX100 questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/30488-some-dvx100-questions.html)

Dylan Couper August 13th, 2004 03:14 PM

Some DVX100 questions

A little on the urgent side....
I'm going to a shoot first thing tomorrow and will be using a borrowed DVX100A for the first time. I've browsed the manual, but have a few more questions.

1) Shooting an indie video for output to video only: should I use 24p or 24pa?

2) Which shutter speed should I use for the most filmy feel to match that?

3) What the heck does "Shutter OFF" mean?

4) What is MACRO mode on this camera (same as a macro on a still camera I guess?) and how do I shut it off?

5) What ISO rating does the camera have? I'm using a light meter to be on the safe side.

I think that's it. Thanks!

Ryan Gohlinghorst August 13th, 2004 04:23 PM

1) By video only, I'm assuming you mean VHS? Then I would say 24p.

2) I find keeping the shutter off works best in most situations.

3) When set to Shutter Off, the camera is set at the default 1/50 shutter speed.

4) Macro on this cam is the same as a still camera. To turn it off, just turn the focus ring to a higher focus number. It will turn off on its own.

5) I'm not really sure, but I've heard it's roughly 320 ASA.

Ken Tanaka August 13th, 2004 04:24 PM

Re: Some DVX100 questions

My 2-cents to the extent I can offer them.

1) Shooting an indie video for output to video only: should I use 24p or 24pa?

24P would be the correct selection for this target, in my opinion. You won't really benefit from the advanced pull-down.

2) Which shutter speed should I use for the most filmy feel to match that?

1/48 will be the normal shutter speed for 24 fps.

3) What the heck does "Shutter OFF" mean?

The Shutter button located on the cam's side under the closed LCD panel enables you to either lock the shutter speed into a standard rate based on your frame rate, or to unlock the shutter and select among various speeds (Speed Sel button) based on your recording mode.

4) What is MACRO mode on this camera (same as a macro on a still camera I guess?) and how do I shut it off?

This refers to a close-focus range on the lens. When you enter this zone you will see "Macro" in the viewfinder. This will only engage in wide to mid zoom ranges.

5) What ISO rating does the camera have? I'm using a light meter to be on the safe side.

No clue. I'm not convinced that ISO has any useful meaning with respect to video cameras, principally because the sensors have such variable sensitivity.

Adam Wilt's page may be helpful.

Dylan Couper August 13th, 2004 04:57 PM

Thanks Ken and Ryan!

So the MACRO goes on and off automaticaly. Gotcha. I didn't notice it going off so assumed it was always in close focus mode (but still loked normal).

With the shutter off, does the shutter speed become 1/48th while shooting 24p?

Charles Papert August 13th, 2004 05:01 PM

Yes, 1/48th is standard.

On dvxuser.com they are calling the camera 640 ASA. I thought it to be a bit less than that, but I didn't necessarily test it as comprehensively as I would want to feel secure in countering their findings.

Ken Tanaka August 13th, 2004 05:02 PM

The 100A manual indicates 1/50...but it's 1/48..as verified on the viewfinder. I suspect they used the PAL table for that section. (1/50 for 24fps wouldn't make sense.)

Dylan Couper August 13th, 2004 05:07 PM

How does the ASA rating translate into ISO in this case? My light meter set for ISO.

Thanks

Jesse Bekas August 18th, 2004 08:58 AM

I think ASA, ISO, and EI ratings are all equivalent.

Dmitri Henry August 18th, 2004 04:06 PM

The following answer is not based on my own testings rather than what i have learned at different forums from well experienced dps. Dvx is supposed to be roughly 640 Iso sensitive in 24p rate and around 1280 at 60i rate.