DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-DVX100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/3154-panasonic-ag-dvx100.html)

Keith Loh August 13th, 2002 12:03 AM

Panasonic AG-DVX100

Someone on DVDA sent me this today. It looks like Panasonic aiming squarely at stock XL1S' and GL2s. Comments?

http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/Products/cams_ccorders/f_ag-dvx100.html

Features

-1/3" 3-CCD Mini-DV camcorder with exclusive CineSwitch™ technology.
-Outstanding sensitivity: F11 @2000 lux, min illumination: 3 lux (at +18dB).
-Supports 480i/60 (NTSC), Cinema-style 480p/24fps, and 480p/30fps image capture.
-Precision wide-angle Lens with Servo/Manual Zoom (with stops & barrel markings).
-Auto/Manual Focus f1.6 with 72mm filter size. Advanced optical image stabilization.
-Conventional 4:3 aspect ratio and 16:9 letterbox image capture modes.
-Conventional video gamma and Cine-like Gamma operational modes.
-2-ch. XLR audio inputs with phantom power supply (48V) and manual audio levels.
-Large centrally located pivoting electronic viewfinder usable for left or right eye.
- Flip-out 270° 3.5" LCD panel with superimposed audio metering on both LCD & EVF.
-Six Scene Files and Two User Sets.
- S-Video, Video & Stereo Audio IN & OUT.
- IEEE-1394 FireWire™ interface (in/out) for transfer of digital video/audio to NLE platforms.
- Interval (Time Lapse) recording with adjustable record duration and interval time.
- Unique pre-cleaning heads and auto head cleaning to maximize reliability.
- Well balanced and highly portable: 4.4 pounds in full operating condition.

Dylan Couper August 13th, 2002 12:12 AM

Yep, I've got to say, I like it's features.
I believe there have been other threads about it here somewhere.

Ken Tanaka August 13th, 2002 12:51 AM

To be sure, the DVX100 will certainly chew deeply into sales of the XL1s and PD150 when it's released in October. I understand that the camera will be priced at around $3,800, aimed squarely at the XL1s and PD150 buyers' budget. I've no doubt that that the DVX100 will garner the majority of buzz in the DV world throughout 2003. And why not? Neither Canon nor Sony have delivered much notable innovation in the prosumer DV world for many years.

I do not believe that Panasonic can carry the baton in the prosumer video world. They're just too big of a consumer products conglomerate with dozens of competing, profitable lines of junky junk. They don't have the commitment or stamina for such low-volume products. Plus, 24p is not really the bogey that so many people seem to think it is today. It's just not an attribute that will move units in volume. But they might light a fire under the butts of the real players. In the end, we'll benefit.

Alex Ratson August 13th, 2002 01:34 AM

“Neither Canon nor Sony have delivered much notable innovation in the prosumer DV world for many years. ‘
This is what the general population of video enthusiasts think, but by NAB 2003, Sony will riles their new camera line XDV. XDV is Sony’s response to the Panasonic DVX100. Oh and to let you guys know, we are not suppose to now about it either. It all just leaked out onto me from a few sources. Now IM not the type to spread roomers but I also herd that canon might riles a XL2 which will be the same as the XL1S, but with 24frame, also with frame move mode, and normal move mode still available. Now this “XL2” could just be a roomer, but XDV is foreshore going to happen. I asked a guy that works for Sony and he confirmed that it was true, but would not tell me any info on it. I guess that’s what the Internet is for.

Alex

Chris Hurd August 13th, 2002 05:32 AM

Having seen a working market-test DVX100 sample at the L.A. DV Show in Burbank recently, I must admit that with or without the 24p feature, it's going to be quite a performer and definitely something to look out for. The only thing it's missing at this point is the ability to use a proper remote zoom and focus controlller.

Revolver1010 August 13th, 2002 05:59 AM

May be a stupid question but is the 16:9 on it also electronic anamorphic?

Revolver1010.

Chris Hurd August 13th, 2002 06:30 AM

The 16x9 mode in all DV camcorders is electronic, or "fake," unless it's a professional model with 2/3" CCDs in the native 16x9 size, such as the Sony DSR500, the JVC GY-DV700 or the Panasonic AJ-D610, each starting at around $12,000 without lens.

Steve McDonald August 15th, 2002 07:08 AM

The AG-DVX100 looks very good, but it's got me at odds with its 10X lens. The other competitors in its price class have more zoom and also have more moderately-priced telextenders of some sort available for them. Mary Thomas of Century Precision Optics tells me their VS-16TC-75 front-end telextender would work with this model and take it up to 16X. It costs $895., list price. The 16TC has a 75mm thread, so it needs a 72-75mm step-ring to fit the DVX100. They also sell this lens as a front-end add-on for the XL1, that also has a 72mm lens thread.

Steve McDonald

Jacques Mersereau August 15th, 2002 01:31 PM

I too am excited that Panasonic has decided to make progressive
scan video a reality @ XL1 prices. That said, the fixed lens
is a step backwards IMO.

The real exciting thing about it for me is that Canon uses 1/3"
Panasonic CCDs in the XL1. Here is the next generation, progressive scan
1/3" CCDs with choice of 24 or 30 fps. That would mean that IF
these chips could be used in the XL1, you could still use the same
lens/adapters.

I am really praying that Panasonic will sell these chips to Canon so
that the next generation of XL1 has progressive scan.
(I was hoping that the XL1s would have progressive, now it could.)
Hook a PS Technik to that and get ready for DV that is truly worthy.
(but I still want a full 60 fps (like 720P) personally)

There is also a rumor that Panasonic is going to come out with something
in the next 4-8 months that will really bring progressive scan video
to our price point. Maybe a 720P camcorder that is about what a
DSR-500 costs. That would rock.

Chris Johnston August 15th, 2002 07:39 PM

The AG-DVX will be available in about three weeks for $3500 US.

Alex
"XDV is Sony’s response to the Panasonic DVX100. Oh and to let you guys know, we are not suppose to now about it either."

Don't think for 1 minute that Sony doesn't want you to know about this cam. Sony is the one that whispers..this is what we have soon...but don't tell anyone...
Intentional leaking is done to slow competitors sales. But I bet they'll show you the cam at NAB2003 and it will be available for sale 3 months after that. So you can hurry up and wait.

Brian Hazelden August 17th, 2002 11:16 AM

>>The 16x9 mode in all DV camcorders is electronic, or "fake," unless it's a professional model with 2/3" CCDs in the native 16x9 size, such as the Sony DSR500, the JVC GY-DV700 or the Panasonic AJ-D610, each starting at around $12,000 without lens.<<

I understand Sony are about to change all that with the release of the DSR PDX-10P in just a few weeks here in the UK. It uses 3x 1/4" mega-pixel chips and was, apparently, designed in conjunction with the BBC to overcome the problems of using anamorphic adaptors on the PD 150's etc. All UK TV and satellite channels are 16:9.

But don't tell anyone I told you!

Brian Hazelden

Alex Ratson August 17th, 2002 11:21 AM

The BBC never used PD 150,s. They use VX2000’s with a after market Pre-amp installed, along with the Century 16:9 adapter.

Frank Granovski August 18th, 2002 06:25 PM

In supervideo's Aug 10th shoot-out, the MX5000 came out best with video quality.

www.supervideo.com/MX.htm

The Pana 24p did very well in 24p mode, but not in regular NTSC mode.

The JVC Streamcorder didn't perform that well, considering it's high cost.

I still think the VX2000 is the way to go, and it's a steal. With a good mic and Beachtec, or a good mic and the "BBC fix," you get a darn good package.

According to Adam Wilt, Century Optics makes the best 16:9 adaptor for the VX2000.

For other VX2000 adaptors, Kenko makes good ones that won't break the bank. And they even come with filter threads! Imagine that....

Read the next issue of DV Magazine, for Bruce A.J. 's review of the GL2. If I were to buy a cam today, I'd be deciding between the GL2 and VX2000. Mind you, the MX5000 is a nice little cam, but requires more lux (for its 1/6" CCDs), and you'd have to buy it from Japan or Korea, or US "grey market."

(Bruce mentioned something bad about the GL2's mic/audio.)