DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   In-Cam Widescreen and Dutch Angles.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/31734-cam-widescreen-dutch-angles.html)

Peter Jefferson September 11th, 2004 05:36 AM

In-Cam Widescreen and Dutch Angles..

hmm.. heres agood one..

i use an anamorphic lens as well as the 100a's squeeze mode.. and when i have my horizon aligned, its all good..

BUT.. when i go hand held and pay around with angles, (dutch angles to be precise) the vertical strecthing is following my movement (obviously.. )

Now ive never tried this coz ive only shot widescreen on pre staged shoots, but im wondering if i should jsut film in 4:3 then stretch it in post??

Reason im thinking this is that my ducth angle wont look wierd as teh track itself is whats being strechted, so regardless of what angle i ahve the camera at, it will still give me a vetical stretch... (wher as if i was to use in cam strecthing, and i tilt the cam, the strecthing will also tilt.. )

what do u think??

Daniel Hollister September 13th, 2004 06:02 PM

whether you use in-camera squeeze or crop in post, you will end up with the same image. you dont STRETCH the image in post, you'd just unstretch because of the anamorphic and then crop the top and the bottom off further to give you the 2.35:1 ratio you're trying to get. it may in fact look weird as you're filming it, but in the end you'll end up getting the same image.

i recommend using the anamorphic but NOT using squeeze mode. in my experience i have found that squeeze mode can leave some motion artifacts every now and then, especially when the anamorphic is attached. also make sure you haved OIS off, especially when going dutch with the anamorphic. if you're still getting weird patterns when you're going dutch, try setting the vertical lines to thick.

Peter Jefferson September 13th, 2004 07:40 PM

whether you use in-camera squeeze or crop in post, you will end up with the same image.

((I would have to say similar.. as the anamorphic is recording at full res with no stretching.. , ive noticed the stretching on a Plasma but its VERY minimal.. )

you dont STRETCH the image in post, you'd just unstretch because of the anamorphic and then crop the top and the bottom off further to give you the 2.35:1 ratio you're trying to get. it may in fact look weird as you're filming it, but in the end you'll end up getting the same image.

((I dont get it.. i mean if i was to film with the lens or stretch (doesnt matter so long as my RAW footage is strecthed) wouldnt i then jsut import that to my NLE and select a widescreen output?? ))

i recommend using the anamorphic but NOT using squeeze mode. in my experience i have found that squeeze mode can leave some motion artifacts every now and then, especially when the anamorphic is attached.

((if i was to use Squeeze mode, i wouldnt be using the adapter... id get a double stretched image.. as for squeeze mode artefacts, i have noticed teh loss in resolution, but nothing to be serious detrimental to my type of footage.. ))

also make sure you haved OIS off, especially when going dutch with the anamorphic.

((you think?? i found it worked fine.. ))

if you're still getting weird patterns when you're going dutch, try setting the vertical lines to thick
((I only use thick, theres no need for me to use thin detail settings :) ))

thanks for the reply, im just a lil dubious as the vertical strecth is on teh cam for that shot, it also means teh angled footage is stretched at an angle... but if i do it in post, it will remain vertically strettched.. regardless of what angle i have the camera at.. .

Erik Hjermstad September 15th, 2004 01:15 AM

sorry...

you don't really need to go dutch do you?? (sarcasm)