DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DSR11 on Playback?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/32835-dsr11-playback.html)

Richard Alvarez October 1st, 2004 01:49 PM

DSR11 on Playback??

Curious as to how many of you guys use a Sony DSR11 for capturing? How is it working for you with the 24p footage?

Preston Herrick October 2nd, 2004 10:21 AM

Works great for me. Good cost to performance ratio. I also like the fact that I have the option of DVCAM and PAL which I've had a need for since purchase.

Stephen Schleicher October 4th, 2004 07:44 AM

No problems with mine! Best Price/performance ratio out there!

Cheers

Tom Hardwick October 4th, 2004 12:13 PM

I love mine. In fast wind mode that baby flies, yet it gently accelerates and decelerates the tape, and won't be rushed in these delicate times. It's solid and feels unbreakable - though the drop-down door doesn't look to tough.

tom.

Chris Ferrer October 4th, 2004 02:02 PM

wouldnt trade mine for anything! love it!

Richard Alvarez October 4th, 2004 07:44 PM

Thanks guys, I've used one before, and been very satisfied with it. I was just checking up on the 24p acquisition, as Bryan at Zotz seemed to indicate, it wouldn't play the 24p footage from the new XL2, and I thougt I recalled using it for some 24p footage a client brought it. Perhaps I misunderstood Bryans email to me.

Preston Herrick October 6th, 2004 09:48 AM

Well, I don't know about 24p footage from the XL2 but it has no problem with Panasonic 24p or pa.

Jon Fordham October 13th, 2004 07:49 PM

Richard,

While I have not attempted to play back footage from the XL2 on a DSR-11, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't when properly set up. I say "properly set up" because the ability to switch Standards between NTSC and PAL on the same deck could cause playback problems if the switch is set to wrong Standard. But this is due to the Standards and not the frame rate. The NTSC models of both the DVX and the XL2 use a pulldown cadence to record the non standard frame rate (24P) to the 60 interlaced fields. But once the images are recorded, they share the same properties as any other 60i NTSC recordings. No special gear is required. IF you try to play back NTSC DVX or XL2 footage while the DSR-11 is set to PAL, you'll have problems. But these are the same problems you'll have with NTSC footage from a PD170 played back while the deck is set to PAL.

I know many editors who use the DSR-11 to play back 24P footage from the DVX. Not only have those editors used the deck for playback, but I just wrapped a 4 day location shoot where I used the DSR-11 as a clone deck. The DSR-11 had no problem recording the DVX100A's 24P images from the Firewire output everytime I hit the VTR trigger. And that same DSR-11 had no problem playing back the 24P dailies at the end of the day.

Richard Alvarez October 13th, 2004 08:02 PM

Jon, et al.

Thanks, this pretty much confirms my initial impressions from using the deck, I just don't know why Bryan would have mentioned some sort of incompatibility. Perhaps I misunderstood his email.