DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   AG-DVX100 Frame Grabs Link (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/3395-ag-dvx100-frame-grabs-link.html)

Clayton Farr August 27th, 2002 12:37 AM

AG-DVX100 Frame Grabs Link

Hello All,

Hopefully this is of some help for those here who are interested in finding out more about this camera. I just put together a page with frame grabs (uncompressed pict files) and my impressions upon seeing this camera in person last week.

(BTW - This is the first time I've put up any content up on Apple's '.mac' account. I don't know how tight they are on pages getting much traffic. So hopefully it works - if anyone has another option for hosting this page and the downloadable pics temporarily, if needed, please let me know.)

http://homepage.mac.com/crf1973/dvx100/

Thanks and enjoy,
Clayton

Jeff Donald August 27th, 2002 03:53 PM

Thanks for the information. I think the sucess of the Panasonic will push Canon in this direction. Great screen shots, very informative.

Jeff

Chris Hurd August 29th, 2002 12:35 AM

I saw where you posted this in some other forums on the net and was wondering how I could contact you to swing through ours. What a pleasant surprise to find out that you have already done so. Many thanks and please keep us in your loop.

Also Clayton, I would be happy to host this for you in addition to whatever other options you already have. All the bandwidth you require, no problem, no strings attached. Just let me know,

Clayton Farr August 29th, 2002 10:28 AM

Thanks Chris,

Just happy to share any info at the places that I have found (and continue to find) helpful.

Thus far the .Mac site seems to be plugging along fine, but I would be happy to send the material along to you as well should you want it. Just let me know what the best way would be to get you the uncompressed (albeit 'stuffed') images - about 15MB worth - given that they might not fly via email (unless you just want to download them at the current site and have me send you the html file / folder structure...)

Another option is mailing a CD if it would be possible (and of any value) to post some DV clips as well (I'm guessing they would range around 40MB each.)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Clayton

Nick Kerpchar August 30th, 2002 07:34 PM

Clayton,
Thank you very much for the update on the Panny 24p. The frame grabs were interesting to me from the standpoint of color rendition. Your running commentary was pretty good and reminds me of a foreign correspondent trying to report a very fluid situation while also trying to cover a lot of territory.

One would think that an organization as large as Panasonic would have provided frame grabs and specs by now but it does not appear to be the case. There is a concept in business called, "Missed Opportunity" and it often correlates into "missed sales". On the other hand, perhaps they are not as big or as organized as previously thought.

However, you are to be congratulated for sharing the information you had on a new piece of equipment that may, or may not, be ready to debut in October of 2002. Thank you again.

Nick

Jeff Donald August 30th, 2002 11:01 PM

The way the mfgs. look at is a little different than end users. They don't want to tip their hand to the compatition any sooner than they have to. They also hesitate to list features that the camera will have. Many times at the last minute a feature will be eliminated to meet certain costs or to improve reliability. Sony has a similar camera that will release within a few months after the Panasonic. Canon certainly is working on XL1 replacement. So, with no direct competitors on the market right now, I don't think Panasonic is worried about missed opportunity. They will sell everyone they can make and there will be a waiting list until the Sony is released.

Jeff

Nick Kerpchar August 31st, 2002 12:57 PM

Jeff,
You are probably right. It would appear though that if the manufacturer wanted to keep something a secret from competitors until it hits the street, then they shouldn't be showing it at trade shows. No matter. I certainly hope that the Panny 24p is everything many people are hoping for. If it is, then Panasonic deserves to make money for being innovative and listening to end users, and the end users will have a piece of equipment they desire. Everybody wins.

Thank goodness Clayton took the time to at least get some info out even if it appeared that the manufacturer felt it wouldn't be to their competitive advantage to do so.

Thanks again for sharing your opinion on the topic. Nick

Hagop Matossian August 31st, 2002 04:24 PM

On the subject of Panasonic, I had a nightmare trying to get info on their NVMX-350B PAL camera available in the UK. Some contributors to this foum may have seen my posts a few weeks ago (before I bought my XM-2) asking if anyone had any info or comparison. No-one had.

The manual was unavailable to download, and info on their website severely lacking. I downloaded the manual to the closest model and found it to be PDF of the paper version which had been scanned in manually, and every page was crooked!

I emailed the customer service, who very happily sent me a catalog of panasonic products (containing everything from fridges to socks with radios built in : ). It had a 1/4 page on this camera.

i emailed them several times more, but when the representative realised I wasn't going to either go away or be easily satisfied, they simlpy stopped replying.

The only thing that really interested me was the 4 1.2" LCD screen (I intend to shoot skate footage so that could come in useful) and size (roughly 1/3 less volume than the XM-2). However it had no handle and none available as an accessory so I eliminated it as a choice. Shops in England tend not to carry brochures, and the staff can be pretty unhelpful unless you convince you have money to burn in your pocket.

I wasn't exactly going to beg Panasonic for marketing info anyway. If they want to sell me a camera costing £1.5g they can damn well put in the effort!

Enough winging. The AG-DVX100 looks sick and I want one.