Help! Problems playing DVCAM tape in DVX100a: at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Help! Problems playing DVCAM tape in DVX100a:

I have 4 Sony DVCAM tapes and when I try to play them in my DVX100a the playback is visible but it's very very choppy

Is there a setting Im missing? Is there issues with playing DVCAM tapes back in the DVX I don;t know about?

Any help is appreciated! The heads are clean - I just tried 3 other DV tapes to make sure all was smooth - thx in advance!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

I tested dvcam playback on my DVX100 and it worked. I can't imagine that the DVX100A wouldn't work.

What you're describing does sound like a tape incompatibility, or dirty heads. If you can't get it to work, you may have to resort to dubbing the tapes through firewire to your DVX. It should work though...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:37 PM   #3
New Boot

is it possible that the heads are dirty even if it plays all other DV tapes ok?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:11 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

That doesn't sound likely. Dirty heads should be affecting all tapes equally.
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

Just a little of my experience...

I keep Sony tapes out of my DVX100A, not that theres any problem with Sony tape or any other brand of pro grade tape. The problems I have encountered seem directly related to incompatabilities in the tape lubrication, and formulation, ie different brands of tape switched in and out of the same camera can cause erratic performance, and head clogs. I have encountered this problem with betacams, and MiniDV seems especially touchy, in my experience. The problem was resolved instantly in both cases by using only one brand of tape exclusivley. Which brand, I dont think matters as long as you start with clean heads and use a high quality tape stock.

Jason Brunner
jason@aros.net
http://www.jasonbrunner.com
http://www.fleurpost.net

(Thats just, like, my opinion, man)
Jason Brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #6
New Boot

Michael Baker wrote:

"Is there a setting Im missing? Is there issues with playing DVCAM tapes back in the DVX I don;t know about?"

Were the tapes recorded in SP or EP mode? I believe I read that DVCam tapes recorded in EP mode will not play in the DVX100A.

If that is true, I don't know if that results in choppy playback or if the tapes aren't visible at all.
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

DVCAM doesn't have different speeds. It only runs at one speed.

So that shouldn't be the problem...
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #8
Contributor

Hmm. First let's make shure we are talking about the same thing. There basically only one kind of DV tape. It can have varying quality, it can have a different lubricant, it can be from a different manufacterer and so forth. If you have a Sony Branded DVCAM tape it can hold DV EP, SP or SLP content. One thing is the tape, and another thing alltogether is the track pitch at which it was recorded.

So, if you are trying to play a tape in a DVX100A and it plays back choppy, it might be a DVCAM branded tape that was recorded with EP track pitch. You will have trouble playing that tape on most pro or semi-pro equipment. You might even have trouble playing that on a Handycam that has EP support. For the best results, you need to play the tape from exactly the same camera that was used to record it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant