Purchasing The DVX 100a, now what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #1
Tourist

Purchasing The DVX 100a, now what?

Hello everyone,
Well after a few months of intense research, screaming, shaking my piggy bank to death and things falling to into place for me. I am finally ready to purchase my first dv camera, now unless I change my mind for the thousandth time whew, I plan on purchasing a DVX 100a. Now one issue down and a few more to go.

My question is, after I buy the DVX 100a, what else will I need as far as accessories go? Okay I know a tripod, which I have already added to the equation but can anyone recommend a particular tripod. After that everything else is a question mark for me. As far as the budget is concern for right now I am working with $6500, keep in mind that a little more than half of that amount will be dedicated to purchase the DVX 100a. So that leaves me about $3000 to work with, any suggestions?
Joshua Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #2
Major Player

A good microphone (Audio-Technica AT4073a) and a good tripod (Vinten Vision 3) are a MUST for starters. Those will set you back close to your $3K you have left by the time you figure windscreens and cables and such. The bright side is that it'll be the last tripod you ever buy (unless you get a bigger one).

You could get less expensive models like a Sennheiser ME66K6 and a Bogen 515MVB with a 516 head and still do alright. (maybe even pic up a wireless lav as well)
That might be better for you because you might also want to pick up some collapsable reflectors, a really nice pair of headphones (I like the Sony MDR-7509's) some cleaning cassettes and supplies, blank tape, a good sturdy camera bag, a white balance card, and a nifty hat.

But for big ticket items that will save you the most in headaches get the mic and tripod.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd agree with that but I'd also say this: don't buy till you need to buy. You might never need an on-board light, but as an event filmmaker you most certainly will. The ME66 may be too rifle for you, the Manfrotto too heavy. You may be off on safari and a telephoto converter will be a must with that short 10x zoom. OTH, a wide-angle will be needed for filming dancers on stage. You'll want a 72 mm UV on day one though - as mechanical insurance protection. And a good carry case.

Wait till you cannot live without it, just as you've done with the 100A. That way you'll not leave the kit on the shelf because it was the wrong bit to buy.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

For sound, you will need an awesome mic. Audio Technica 4071 or 4073 (depending on what you are doing). You will also need a boompole, shockmount, windscreen and cables. That will run you about $200 to $300 if you go with a cheap boompole.

You could go with a cheaper mic, it just depends on what you are shooting. If it is narrative films, go for the 4071/4073.

Put a clear filter on that lens and keep it on there at all times. That will protect it.

Sony MDR-7509 headphones. Top notch. A must.

Hard case. Pelican or Doskocil.

That is a good start.

After all of this. A good lighting kit. Unless you are going to hire out.
Jim Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #5
Tourist

Rhett,Tom and Jim I would thank each of you for taking the time further guide along... You insight and wisdom was greatly needed......
Joshua Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Major Player

You can definitely get away without buying an expensive tripod like the Vinten Vision 3. Look around at Bogens. You should be able to get a decent set of sticks and head for around $500.

At this point, I'd definitely recommend going cheap on the tripod and spending money on other things like lighting and etc...
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #7
Major Player

a fitting flight case fast!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant