DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Chinese DVX vs Xls/2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/36421-chinese-dvx-vs-xls-2-a.html)

Grey Lee December 15th, 2004 12:44 AM

Chinese DVX vs Xls/2

Hi guys

The chinese DVX is called the dvc180a(2004 version) and it appears not to have the 24p function. The stats on the panny site list only two frame rates (its' PAL) being 25p and 50i. If this cam doesn't have the 24p function, would it still be such a good buy compared with the xl1 or 2? I live in china and am wanting to buy a handheld for proffesional videos.
I'm wondering if the DVX100 didn't have 24p would you still choose it over the xl1/2?

Thanks

Rob Lohman December 15th, 2004 05:55 AM

If it is PAL it will not have 24p indeed. That is something that PAL
doesn't have nor need.

There basically is no answer to your question. It depends on a LOT
of things, like:

1. your budget (take extra things you might need into account as well like audio equipment, lighting equipment, camera accessoires, computer, editing software etc. etc.)

2. what you plan to use this camera for (broadcast work, weddings, fictional work, documentaries etc.)

The XL1(s) is a vastly different camera than the XL2 which is a
vastly different camera than the DVX.

All it all depends on what you can afford, need and like to have
or don't care about.

Talk a bit more about these things to help us steer you in the
right direction.

Good luck!

Grey Lee December 15th, 2004 10:45 AM

broadcast

Hi Rob

I plan to use this cam for shooting educational programs for TV broadcast and VCD/DVD sales. Some will be handheld outdoors and some studio type tripod stuff.
My budget is 30-40,000 RMB which will include camera, audio equipment, tripod and lights. (that's about $4800)

THe dvc180a retails for 23500 or so ($2800), the xl1s for 22800, and the xl2 for 32800($3900), so there's a big jump between these two cams(the xl2 is probably, but not definitely, over my camera budget).

I tried an xl1s out in store and was pretty impressed with the picture, mind you department stores are lit up pretty well. (do you think they deliberately put the camcorder section next to the jewellery section?).

So what are the big differences between the xl1s and 2? I read about new ccds and better SN ratio. Is the difference huge?

I dont care about 16:9. I'm not shooting any feature films in the forseeable future, and my target audience is still using 4:3 TVs. mostly.

I would like to get into documentaries as well in future.

SO I can at a stretch afford any of them.(although buying the xl2 will leave me a little tight with lights and mics).

I need beautiful 4:3 clear and pretty enough to sell and look professional. Audio inputs too. xlrs.

I like the dvc180a because its compact and has an LCD and viewfinder. But I like the canons because of the shoulder brace for steadier handheld shots, and the included shotgun mic.

So I guess that's a hell of a long post but I hope you have enough now to help me out.

Thanks
Grey

Peter Sieben December 15th, 2004 12:27 PM

Hi Grey,

As Rob stated the PAL DVX100 hasn't got 24P, but it has 25P (PAL). It's same and easier (only conversion to real film needs some work). 25P works in most of the editing software: just create a project with DV PAL and set the field order to progressive, that's all. I use it all the time with my DVX100 and it's far superiour compared to the XL1S frame mode. However, the PAL XL2 also has 25P (and true widescreen etc). I like the spec's of the XL2. But if I had to choose right now, I would go for the DVX100a (the 2nd model of the DVX100) due to the compacter format of the camcorder and the 25P cinegamma features in the DVX. But that's because I don't think about the normal interlaced video mode (50i) and won't need interchangeable lenses. For the price-difference I would get myself a proper tripod, a good mike (the DVX100 standard comes with 2 XLR inputs), etc.

Just my 2 cents... l-)

Rob Lohman December 16th, 2004 06:26 AM

Grey: I can't really help you in the right direction for a camera,
so I hope others will help you with that. I can say some other
things.

1. if you are shooting for broadcast, progressive might not be so important to you? (ie, most broadcast is still in interlaced)

2. the XL2 has massive changes compare to the XL1S, the most important ones:

- onboard XLR jacks for microphones
- true progressive scan CCD's (instead of the "fake" frame mode on the XL1 series)
- true 16:9 anamorphic widescreen scanning
- 24p mode (on the NTSC version)
- larger flip-open viewfinder
- customizable cine looks / extensive image control
- builtin "shoulder support"

Also see the following article on our site for some more new
features etc.:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/xl2skinny.php

Good luck with your tough choice and I hope others can help you
futher with your decision!

Jan Crittenden Livingston December 16th, 2004 07:14 AM

If there is no 24P function it is an AG-DVC80.