DVC30-Squeeze or Letterbox at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC30-Squeeze or Letterbox

I have been asked to deliver a finished DVD (I use Sony DVD Architect) in widescreen format. Has anyone compared the results of these two settings on the DVC30?

Also what should I expect if the result of both is shown on a normal 4:3 screen?

I don't have access to a widescreen TV, so I can't check for myself.

If there's no Internet in Heaven, I'm not going!
Wayne Starick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

Wayne, if you shoot your footage in letterbox then you're recording black bars to tape and your footage is still 4:3. If you record in the anamorphic squeeze mode then your footage could look incorrect (squished) on certain 4:3 TVs. If you are 100% certain your footage is to only be viewed on widescreen TVs then I would go for the squeeze mode, otherwise stick with letterbox.

This link might be of some help. Note that it is regarding NTSC, not PAL.

Click here
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Major Player

If you shoot in widescreen (anamorphic 16:9) and author your DVD in widescreen, the DVD player will letterbox the video on 4:3 sets and play it full screen on widescreen sets. Keep in mind that the widescreen video on the DVC30 is low rez compared to a cam like the Sony PDX10, Panasonic GS400 or Canon XL2. So, I'd take a look at it on a widescreen set before I gave it to my client even if I had to take it to a local electronics store.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:13 PM   #4
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Keep in mind that the widescreen video on the DVC30 is low rez compared to a cam like the Sony PDX10, Panasonic GS400 or Canon XL2. -->>>

Hi Guy,

Do you know GS400 has true 16:9 ccd? I checked my gs400 and found that the screen actually get wider while I push wide screen button.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:19 PM   #5
Wrangler

Good point about the DVD authoring Guy.

Leigh, are you asking if the GS400 has a native 16:9 CCD? The GS400 does have a very high quality 16:9 mode with almost no vertical zooming but the CCD itself is 4:3.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Do you know GS400 has true 16:9 ccd? I checked my gs400 and found that the screen actually get wider while I push wide screen button.
Hi Leigh. Like Tommy said, the CCDs on the GS400 are 4:3. However, the 16:9 mode takes a full true 16:9 image from the CCDs to create the widescreen. So, the widescreen image is full resolution and 22% wider than 4:3.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:31 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Guy and Tommy.

Your answer makes me very happy.

My gy-dv5000 only has letterbox and uneconomic to get an add on converter.

I think I should use my gs400 more instead of gy-dv5000. I just use gs400 to take some photo which is just waste my money now. I actually quite like wide screen + cinema mode in gs400.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for all of the helpful input folks. Tommy, that link was really useful - thank you!

Actually I have come up with a neat solution for experimenting - I bought a run-out model of a portable DVD player (Voxson ZK7) for $299 Oz dollars. It is really neat - slightly larger than a DVD case and it comes with remote, plug-on battery, power pack and cigarette lighter adaptor. I can set it to either 4:3 or 16:9 and see exactly what is going on.

I think it might be useful for taking to show clients as well - that's my story and I'm sticking to it anyway! :o)

Check it out at:
http://www.voxson.com/productsServic...DVDPlayers.asp

Wayne Starick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

"If there's no Internet in Heaven, I'm not going!"

Heh. The best of both worlds are right here at DV Info Net. Couldn't resist,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

You're right - plenty of guardian angels :o)

Wayne Starick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant