Price drop (Rebate) for DVX100 A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Price drop (Rebate) for DVX100 A

Just thought some of you might be interested to know that starting Feb 1st the DVX100A is being rebated by $300 :\

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=305960&is=REG
Ari Shomair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 06:00 AM   #2
Panasonic Broadcast

Re: Price drop (Rebate) for DVX100 A

<<<-- Originally posted by Ari Shomair : Just thought some of you might be interested to know that starting Feb 1st the DVX100A is being rebated by $300 :\

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=305960&is=REG -->>>

In reality, a rebate is not a price drop, but rather an incentive to purchase. There are a number of customers sitting on the fence and everyone is looking for the lowest price. Unfortunately what they sometimes do is purchase gray market product and thne discover that that might not have been the best idea. So this promotion is one more marketing ploy to get the customer to purchase a US authorizedproduct over the gray market.

So what is included with the DVX is a copy of Magic Bullet for editors, a copy of Barry Green's DVX Book and DVD and now a $300 incentive on a $3995 camera. Sounds like a good deal to me. It is a limited time offer.

Best regards,

Jan
Jan Crittenden Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Wrangler

In the March issue of DV Magazine there's a section about products shown at DV Expo West 2004 in December. In the blurb about DV Rack it states
Quote:
Serious Magic also announced that its DV Rack, the full version, is now bundled with Panasonic's DVX100A camcorder
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Panasonic Broadcast

My feeling is that the magazine misunderstood. There will be a new package that will be the DVX100A, the DV Rack, a new case that is large enough to hold the DVX all tricked out and a 5400mA battery. This package will be called the Serious Production Package. Will soon be anounced by Panasonic.

As it stands the DVX comes with the Magic Bullet and Barry Green's DVX Book and DVD.

Hope that helsp,

Jan
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So does this have nothing to do with the possibility of a DVX200 on the horizon?
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #6
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Harley : So does this have nothing to do with the possibility of a DVX200 on the horizon? -->>>

None in the least!
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #7
Wrangler

Hmmmm...seems to me that Canon took the same approach with the XL1s. A $500 rebate carrot to get folks to buy. Why? Well, as we all know now, and what I speculated here on the boards was that they are trying to flush dealer inventories in preparation for a new model release. So what about the GL-2, you say? It has had a rebate also but no replacement yet. Well, when you think about the volume in the dealer pipeline for the XL1s vs the GL-2, they have a lot more GL-2's out there to get rid of. You'll find the GL-2 at many mass market retailers (Circuit City, Frye's, Ultimate Electronics, etc.) but those folks didn't stock the XL1s because it was too much camera for the majority of their customers.

With all due respect Jan, I understand that you are with Panasonic and are likely under an NDA but this smells of 'new model coming' to me. It already seems like the ball has been hit back to Pana and JVC in the high end prosumer arena since Canon and Sony have made their move.

Just my humble opinion and .02 worth. We shall wait and see. I think 2005 is going to be interesting for us!

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #8
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Boston :
With all due respect Jan, I understand that you are with Panasonic and are likely under an NDA but this smells of 'new model coming' to me. It already seems like the ball has been hit back to Pana and JVC in the high end prosumer arena since Canon and Sony have made their move.
-->>>

The Canon Xl2 has made absolutely no impact on the DVX100A, in fact sales have increased since the intro of the XL2. I know that people think there is another model coming, and so on other boards, I have said that there is a DVX100B coming but it will not be here until September. It will be changed only to the extent that it becomes compliant with the ROHS initiative, (google ROHS if you want to know.)

The Rebate is a ploy to move all customers that are wanting to buy a DVX100A to purchase authorized US product and not gray market. We estimate that we lose about 150-200 units a month to gray market, and of course the unsuspecting customer doesn't realize it till too late.

We put the Magic Bullet for Editors in the box along with Barry Green's DVX Book and top that off with a $300 rebate. That is a pretty hard offer to walk away from.

Will Panasonic have something to respond to the HDV product? Yes, but it will be in the price range of the Z1, which is more than the DVX by a couple of thousand. It will be a DVCPROHD product, I frame only, 4:2:2, uncompressed audio, edit solutions that work today. I cannot say much more than that.

Hope that helps ease the suspicions,

Jan
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Yeah Pana Oz were thinking about doing this to counter the Z1's launch..

they will most likely go ahead and add an extra battery and mic, but the Z1 here in Aus will set you back $9350rrp about 2400 more than a dvx

Bit of a scam when i can fer one from Singapore for 6000AU
Dunno what sony are doing.. rippin people off like that..
I was talkin to a technician from Panas Pro area.. and he was sayin how they have the best research company doing alot fo work for them..
i asked.. oh yeah.. who..
his response was "Sony.. "
couldnt help but laugh...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #10
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : Yeah Pana Oz were thinking about doing this to counter the Z1's launch..

they will most likely go ahead and add an extra battery and mic, but the Z1 here in Aus will set you back $9350rrp about 2400 more than a dvx

Bit of a scam when i can fer one from Singapore for 6000AU
Dunno what sony are doing.. rippin people off like that..
I was talkin to a technician from Panas Pro area.. and he was sayin how they have the best research company doing alot fo work for them..
i asked.. oh yeah.. who..
his response was "Sony.. "
couldnt help but laugh... -->>>

Hi Peter,

I am not sure I understand your post outside of how expensive the z1 is and that you can get it cheaper out of Singapore. I specificaly do not understand the research company doing work for us? What is that? Whoever said must have been either misunderstood, or slightly out of their minds.

Anyhow can you offer clarification?

Jan
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jan Crittenden : <<<-- Originally

Will Panasonic have something to respond to the HDV product? Yes, but it will be in the price range of the Z1, which is more than the DVX by a couple of thousand. It will be a DVCPROHD product, I frame only, 4:2:2, uncompressed audio, edit solutions that work today. I cannot say much more than that.

Jan -->>>

Well Jan, you might have eased my suspicions but you definitely increased my drool factor with those preliminary tidbits!

Thanks for sharing as much as you could with us.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

Regarding the "clearing out the warehouse" comment...

... we just bought another DVX100A last week for an upcoming low-budget indie feature. We placed the order but had to wait almost two weeks to get it, because EVS was sold out! So I don't think there's any backlog of cameras, EVS literally had to wait for their shipment to come in, and the quote they gave us was "these things are selling like hotcakes". And EVS just raised their price by $100.

So even though there's something new coming in the HD lineup, I don't think there's any replacement for the DVX coming anytime soon.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Jan, can we expect the final coming of dv100 in an affordable camera. I remember that both Panasonic and JVC came up with that spec in the late 90's.

Seeing that D9 and DVCPRO50 were interchangable (recording from one vtr to another), I figure that even though you are competitors, you will both come out with a superior answer to HDV. 4:2:2 I frame sounds like the real deal.

And I bet most will accept a new tape format if the quality is there. Anyway, thanks for the tip. Looking forward to the rest of this year.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:37 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Peter,

"I am not sure I understand your post outside of how expensive the z1 is and that you can get it cheaper out of Singapore. I specificaly do not understand the research company doing work for us? What is that? "

LOL
i dont think you get me mate.. it was a joke from a rep who knew i was a Pana Cam freak and i was talking to him about waiting for the Pana HD solution as opposed to jumping ship and going Sony :) It was a just a little dig at the opposition as Sony almost always are one fo the first companies with the new toys ;)

"Whoever said must have been either misunderstood, or slightly out of their minds."

((it was a joke, we were both pretty much gettin hyped on the Pana HD spec is all. Nothing serious.))

I dont think theyre clearing out the warehouse as such, i think theyre preparing for the coming of the Z1 which is what all companies do when a new breed is led to the gates..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #15
Major Player

>>Will Panasonic have something to respond to the HDV product? Yes, but it will be in the price range of the Z1, which is more than the DVX by a couple of thousand. It will be a DVCPROHD product, I frame only, 4:2:2, uncompressed audio, edit solutions that work today. I cannot say much more than that.

Jan<<

That's awesome Jan! Panasonic has really been a Godsend to me with the 100A (I wouldn't have been able to afford to make my movie without it) so I can see that you guys continue to craft the work of Deities with this future DVCPRO HD product! Great job!
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant