DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVC30 or DVC60 for Weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/38778-dvc30-dvc60-weddings.html)

Scott Shama February 2nd, 2005 04:10 PM

DVC30 or DVC60 for Weddings?

Hi all,

I think I've finally narrowed my camera desicion down to these 2 cameras. I have decided to not worry about shooting native 16:9. I don't have a single friend or relative that even owns one at this point so native 16:9 will have to wait until I can afford a better camera like the XL2. I'm just not in love with the PDX10 (is there a shoulder mount for this thing?) and it's somewhat akward handling and GS400's 12 Lux rating will struggle with dimly lit receptions I am afraid.

Anyway, my question is for all the people that shoot weddings and events...which camera is better for shooting weddings, a shoulder mount (DVC60) or a small format on a stabilzer (DVC30)?

Does the DVC's XLR connectors have phantom power? If not it would seem to make sense to get the DVC30 and some kind of shoulder mount harness (if shoulder mount is more desirable). Anyone know of a good one?

Also, is there a 16:9 lense adapter for these cameras so I can get full resolution 16:9 if I really want? ...and what does century optics mean by "partial zoom" on their 16:9 adapters?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,
Scott

Kevin Spahr February 2nd, 2005 05:35 PM

I can answer one of your questions...

The DVC30 has a special jack that allows you to plug in the optional AG-MYA30G ($265 I think). This mounts to the camera and has two XLR jacks that can be switched to mic or line input. 48VDC phantom power can also be turned on or off for the mic setting. It also allows you to put channel 2 on both audio tracks of your tape if you want a mono recording.

I really like my two DVC30's. Mine were B-Stock units, one had 4 hours and the other looked brand new, everything was sealed and the camera had 0 hours on it!

Scott Shama February 2nd, 2005 06:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. I meant to ask if the DVC60's XLRs had phantom power...

Cheers,
Scott

Adam Folickman February 3rd, 2005 08:02 AM

16:9 adaptor

Scott,

Check out this 16:9 adaptor by Century Optics.

http://www.centuryoptics.com/pdf/CPGL2.pdf

It is not made specifically for the DVC30. It sounds good from the product literature. It says it is can be used with the full zoom range. It is EXPENSIVE (about $1159 to $1299 - depends where you look). It would also require a step ring for the threads.

It would be great if anybody that had any expierence using this on a DVC30 could tell us what the results look like.

Peter Jefferson February 3rd, 2005 09:33 AM

id say hold onto ur cash and get urself a dvx100 or z1....

the increase in CCD size WILL make a difference as wil the manual image control manipulation

Scott Shama February 3rd, 2005 12:45 PM

??

Doesn't the DVX100 used costs more than the DVC30 ($1800)or the DVC60 ($2100)? The Z1 is over $3000....Not really a good option for me. Also, the '30 & '60 have 16x optical zooms, the dvx100 has only a 10x as far I know. There is enough manual image control in the '30 & '60 for me for the time being.

Thanks though,
Scott

Scott Shama February 4th, 2005 04:47 PM

So, in case anyone's going through a similar dilema, I've decided on the DVC60. From reading this BB it seems that a lot of people buy the "loaf of bread" style cameras and then spend a bunch of money on stabilizers and shoulder mount systems for them. Seems to me I will be cutting out a rather expensive step by just buying a shoulder mount camera. Also, without a support of any kind, the DVC30 when outfitted with the XLR adapter and the shotgun mic weighs almost 4lbs compared to the DVC60's 5.5Lbs. I don't really consider 4 or 5lbs back breaking but from reading this BB it sounds like after an hour or more it will be. :)

I figure by the end of the year there will be better options in my price range for wedding/event videography that shoot true 16:9, have a frame mode with cine gamma and function well in reception lighting. Sony seems to have the low light thing down, I think they just need to get true 16:9 and 24p or 30p going on a vx2100 type camera with XLRs.

Cheers,
Scott

Colvin Eccleston February 5th, 2005 07:09 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Shama : So, in case anyone's going through a similar dilema, I've decided on the DVC60. From reading this BB it seems that a lot of people buy the "loaf of bread" style cameras and then spend a bunch of money on stabilizers and shoulder mount systems for them. Seems to me I will be cutting out a rather expensive step by just buying a shoulder mount camera. Also, without a support of any kind, the DVC30 when outfitted with the XLR adapter and the shotgun mic weighs almost 4lbs compared to the DVC60's 5.5Lbs. I don't really consider 4 or 5lbs back breaking but from reading this BB it sounds like after an hour or more it will be. :)

Cheers,
Scott -->>>

That is exactly the conclusion I have come to over the Z1. I wouldn't send it back now but it is a pain that you need to spend £300+ for a shoulder support that should be included.

Peter Jefferson February 5th, 2005 09:29 AM

shoulder support??
hmm.. i use a Sony DSR570 for my broadcast work (soon to be sold and replaced by 3 Z1's ;) ) and i tell you, i get stable footage out of it as i do my DVX100s which i use for wedding work.
It all comes down to practice and skill.. the DVX is notorious for its unstable footage and full zoom, but once u understnad how teh stabilser responds, u can counter that quite easily...
in all honesty, i prefer the boyancy of a handheld cam as opposed to a shoulder mount monstrosity which is far from discrete at a wedding and picks up my movements when i breath or move....
I have a pistol grip attachment which screws into the tripod mount.. i hold the cam lik ean iold 8mm film camera.. like a gun...
My arm works like a steadycam.. with my elbow being the spring as i counteract my steps.. i cant do that with a shouldermount..

Dont get me wrong, shoulder mounts are good, Hell i spent $24k AU for one..
but i fail to see how a DVC60 will give u the image quality you need to in lower light situations, and the discretion thats required to film something as personal as a wedding..

I guess its all about budget, and if thats al the wallet will strecth to, so be it.. I really do hope it works out.. one of my customers actaully got into wedding video using one of these, and he seems to be doin alright with it now.

with regard to low light.. im really over the Sony vs Pana argument.. in Pal land, the DVX (original) definately hammers the PD170... easily.. the DVX100a is a lil noisy at 12db, but it still offers a sharper image with truer colours as oppsed to the red tones of the PD. Even when balanced correctly... i dunno.. might be an NTSC thing. who cares tehyr eboth good and they both work.
As for the zoom, im happy with 10x.. any more and id end up losing lux anyway..

either way, i hope your venture turns out fruitful :) i know how hard it can be.. hell i started shooting weddings with a dodgy MX500... ;)
Cheers

Tony Hall February 5th, 2005 09:36 AM

For a wedding, I'd probably get the 60 because it has that pro look plus a shoulder mount allows you to move around and get pretty smooth footage. Your footage and your image will probably be better with the 60.

Personally, I think walking around with a small camera like the 30 would probably look pretty unprofessional.

Adam Folickman February 7th, 2005 08:03 AM

Peter,

Where did you get the pistol grip attachment ? Is it something that can be still be bought ?

Sounds very interesting. I wouldn't mind trying that on my DVC-30.

Mike Sakovski March 5th, 2005 12:04 PM

i got the DVC30 few days back. I was hoping it'd be a jack-of-all-trades cam, good for both paying jobs and ok in terms of weight and size for family use. It is a nice cam but i dont think in low lite it produces clear and bright enuf footage for weddings use when one has no control over lighting. At nite with ALL lights on the images r nice, but as soon as u start recess ur lite, it all goes down the hill rather fast, losta grain even on widest angle, colors go bad and detail disappears.
on the other hand i love the DVC30's cine gamma, if i decide to keep the cam , im sure ill be shooting only with cnie gamma on, maybe with adjused brightenss and chroma levels. In normal lite the DVC30's picture is beautiful - clean and pleasing as eye candy )