DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX frame-rate question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/40418-dvx-frame-rate-question.html)

Wes Kato March 2nd, 2005 05:40 PM

DVX frame-rate question

Hello, is it possible to get different frames rates (like 12P or 15P) other than 24P, 30P and 60i with the DVX100? Or is this a new feature exclusive to the 100A?

If anyone could explain a bit, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-Thank you

Preston Herrick March 2nd, 2005 07:36 PM

Neither of the camera models offer inherit 12 or 15p frame rates. However you can achieve 12p in post by setting your shutter speed to 1/24 sec. and shooting in 24p - then speed up the footage twice as fast (200% in a 24p timeline).

For 15p, you set the shutter speed to 1/30 sec., shoot in 30p, and speed the footage up to 160%

Wes Kato March 2nd, 2005 08:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Preston. I have a DVX100 and suspected it wasn't possible.

I was actually more interested in shooting in something higher than 30P for a really nice fluid slow-motion effect when played back at 24P.

-Wes

Preston Herrick March 2nd, 2005 09:08 PM

Slo-mo? I wondered if that's what you meant.

For super smooth: Shoot 30p, playback at 80%. This will give you a 25% reduction in speed - not dramatic but smooth.

For slower: Shoot 60i @ 120th/sec shutter, slow to 40% in 24p timeline. Also requires deinterlacing (or making full frame out of each field). This will result in softer images.

Or: 60i slowed 50% in a 60i timeline.

Any other percentage of slowdown in timeline will result in jittery (non-smooth) motion.

Wes Kato March 2nd, 2005 10:43 PM

I'll do some experiments later on and give it a try. The "jittery" slo-mo look you described is exactly what got me on this kick.

I wonder if the XL2 has more frame-rate options than the DVX? In the director's commentary for "28 Days Later" they mentioned that fast, "stutter" effect was created naturally by adjusting the frame-rate (or shutter speed?) on the XL1 to an insane rate. It didn't sound like something they did in post, but I may have mis-heard. Just a bit curious.

Thanks again.

Peter Jefferson March 3rd, 2005 09:39 AM

err. no..
the XL2 does not have any different frame rates to the DVX

although with teh coming of DVCproHD, im hoping that a faster frame rate will be possible this way we can get TRUE slowmo as opposed to electronically processed slowmo.

You havent mentioned what aplication youre using... if usuing Vegas5, u can easily go down to 10% with super mooth motion using the video supersampling envelope

It will also do the deinterlacing for you : )

Stefan Scherperel March 7th, 2005 01:50 AM

Wes
Frame rate and shutter speed are two totally unrelated things. Both can be changed independently of the other.